What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

coax routing

egp8111

Patron
How did you guys route you coax cable to your TPX and comm antenna? I have both mine going down the center trunk. The comm antenna is just behind the gear and the txp is back about the rear pax seat area. I'm getting static on the radio which I suspect is partly from the cables being close together.
How close is too close?
I've never like electricity since I stuck a bobby pin in the wall socket as a child.

Thanks
Skip
RV-4 #1904

That's what I did Skip

Skip,
Mine are routed same as yours, Comm and Transponder down the centerline. Iv'e never had any static issue. I doubt your getting static from that, however, I may have just been lucky...AVX is my weak point also. I just took the VAF and others precautions to ensure ground plane contact and proper grounding of the other components was adhered to. You need to elaborate when you get the static, what's "online", ect. Try turning your alternator field off, fiddle with lights and so on(assuming engine is running). You may find the demon !

static

There should be no problem running a TR coax next to radio coax. If you're getting interference do good inspection of wires and connectors. Something else is causing it.

I've never like electricity since I stuck a bobby pin in the wall socket as a child.

Thanks
Skip
RV-4 #1904

If you repeat the process enough times you get used to it and start to enjoy the 'tingle'. :D
Back in my working on cars days that's how we used to check for spark at least until they came out with HEI systems.

Back