What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QUESTION FOR CANADIAN OWNER/OPERATORS

Warbirdsolutions

For any of you residing in Canada. I have talked to an RV owner in Canada who did not build his airplane and he tells me that in Canada whoever buys the airplane is instantly authorized to work on the airplane and DO THE CONDITION/ANNUAL INSPECTION! As you know in the US an A&P must do the Condition Inspection on an Experimental airplane unless the owner built the airplane and has a Repairman Certificate.
This sounds really far fetched to me in that Canada is typically much more strict than the US in most everything to do with Experimental airplanes. Anyone know what the reality is?
Thanks, Brad Hood

Yes it is true. It does not make any sense, but it is true. If owners were getting killed or killing passengers, Transport would change the rule, so it must be working. Hopefully owners who do not have much maintenance experience are getting help from someone who has experience?

The Canadian RV owner is correct...

I built my RV-7A while my brother bought his RV-9A; we both are authorized to do our own maintenance and annual inspections. (Both due in Jan/Feb time frame, BTW))

We can, however, use the services of an AME (Aircraft maintenance engineer) if we wish...

Yes, Amateur built rules are a bit different for Canada in that aspect compared to the US.
We as owners of EAB aircraft in Canada can do and sign out the annual inspections, regardless if you built or bought the plane, second owners can use an AME if they wish. If the plane was sold off to the US, than it reverts to your rules.
We have a bit more requirements during the building process than you have though. All structures, control surfaces, vert, horiz, wing panels, & fuselage must be inspected by a delegated inspector before we can close them up, the Pre Close Inspection.

Just to build on what has been said, all of which is accurate...

When I bought my 4, which had been previously imported from the US, I had an AME do an annual on it making sure all applicable SB's/Letters and AD's were done. A couple were found not complied with so they were done prior to purchase. I did my own annual inspections and mtc after that. In speaking with the original importer into Canada, he informed me that it took him almost 7 months to get the plane "Canadianized" and registered etc for flight in Canada. Had to install carb heat and a few other changes not required in the US.

When I built my 7, the MDRA (Ministers Delegate, Recreational Aviation) did my pre-close and final inspections. I was lucky as he was a retired AME (not all are) and did great inspections confirming that all was OK, as I and a couple others had already done. Do my own mtc and inspections, with help from one of our AME's on the field who are always willing to help when asked, which helps make things a little more affordable.

For any of you residing in Canada. I have talked to an RV owner in Canada who did not build his airplane and he tells me that in Canada whoever buys the airplane is instantly authorized to work on the airplane and DO THE CONDITION/ANNUAL INSPECTION! As you know in the US an A&P must do the Condition Inspection on an Experimental airplane unless the owner built the airplane and has a Repairman Certificate.
This sounds really far fetched to me in that Canada is typically much more strict than the US in most everything to do with Experimental airplanes. Anyone know what the reality is?
Thanks, Brad Hood

Yes. And if that same US built airplane is imported into and registered in Canada, the Canadian owner can now sign off on the annuals etc. We’ve got it good here. Let’s not screw it up.

BTW, in Canada, our kit planes, plans built planes and one-offs get classified as “Amateur-built”. “Experimental“ in Canada is... experimental like inventing something and totally different. That’s my understanding anyway.

Bevan

It's all true. That said, the typical general aviation pilot in Canada is deathly afraid of amateur-built aircraft. I've had people decline the offer of a ride in my RV-6, and heard many others say they would never fly in a plane built in someone's basement. They're the ones who arrive last to the pancake breakfasts though, after the RV owners have all eaten. :)

Transport Canada has taken a very permissive attitude in recent years towards General Aviation. They've allowed the Owner Maintenance program on certain certified aircraft as well... Typically older planes that new AME's don't know anything about anwyay, and that generally aren't any more complicated than your average amateur-built airplane. When it comes right down to it, a Cessna 150 isn't much different from an RV-6, in terms of structure and regular maintenance required on same.

And as pointed out, it has "always been this way" in Canada (with respect to amateur-builts). And our incident rate isn't any worse than the US, as far as i'm aware.

It's all true. That said, the typical general aviation pilot in Canada is deathly afraid of amateur-built aircraft. I've had people decline the offer of a ride in my RV-6, and heard many others say they would never fly in a plane built in someone's basement. They're the ones who arrive last to the pancake breakfasts though, after the RV owners have all eaten. :)

comes right down to it, a Cessna 150 isn't much different from an RV-6, in terms of structure and regular maintenance required on same..

Oh this is so true. Then they climb into their certified champ with no shoulder harnesses, a glass gascolator and no firesleeve on any lines. The degree to which people believe flying a certified airplane protects them is quite strange. But I guess a lot if people have little or no understanding of what goes on under the hood. They turn the key and it goes. But if something starts to go wrong it must be terrifying for them. They have absolutely no idea what is happening. I do my own maint. In my homebuilt. I time the mags, torque the prop, clean the filters, inspect all the control system, structure, engine controls, carb adjustment, the whole deal. I know (like all of you) pretty much exactly how everything works and if there is a funny noise chances are I know what it is and if it is a nuisance or something that is a potential safety issue. When I don’t know I come here and learn. I find that a great challenge and it is a big part of the fun of the hobby.

Back