What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing the RV6-A

Very nice.

I use that camera angle a bunch to I can see what my landing actually looked and correlate it to what I felt in the cockpit. Still working on keeping my nose wheel up like you did.

Trying out new camera angles , hope you enjoy !

https://youtu.be/kmNq9kEv6lc

Beautiful!
Thanks!

Very nice.

I use that camera angle a bunch to I can see what my landing actually looked and correlate it to what I felt in the cockpit. Still working on keeping my nose wheel up like you did.

It's the first time I've used this angle, always wanted to see how the landing looked so I could keep improving. Biggest thing to remember is it's not a nose gear but a kick stand for the prop!

Justin, I don't recall ever seeing a video of an RV with such vibration free gear, through the entire speed range. Did you put any wood on the main gear legs?

Justin, I don't recall ever seeing a video of an RV with such vibration free gear, through the entire speed range. Did you put any wood on the main gear legs?

There is no wood on the main gear legs, we do have an anti splat on the nose and a close tolerance bolt where the nose leg attaches to the engine mount. We keep our tire pressures at 32 psi (Michelin Air) and try to touch down as soft as possible.

There is no wood on the main gear legs, we do have an anti splat on the nose and a close tolerance bolt where the nose leg attaches to the engine mount. We keep our tire pressures at 32 psi (Michelin Air) and try to touch down as soft as possible.

Thanks - mine is the same w/r to the mains, I keep the pressure 30-35 and no vibration. I'd like to run higher, and may try wood.

Looks like a very smooth runway. No cracks or joints to excite the gear.

Our field is pretty smooth, I will have more videos to follow . We have some fly ins coming up so I will try and get those landings recorded.

What tool did you use to mount the camera to your wing? Is it attached to your tie down hook?

Go pro sticky mount ( I left the sticky pad cover on it) modified a washer and unscrewed a bolt from the wing tip . Put the bolt through the washer , then through the mount , attached back to the wing tip.

You can remove it at anytime with no damage to the paint.

Cool vids,

Curious how you attach your gopro.

I attached a gopro with the adhesive plate on the center of the wind screen frame where it meets the canopy. Took off yesterday morning and at about 1000' and 100 mph I heard a thud which scared the **** out of me. Looked up to see the camera and adhesive mount separated and hit the vertical stab dead center. In hind site I should have put it 3 inches left or right. Now I have a nice little dent to deal with. Anyhow, at least in this case, the 3m adhesive was insufficient.

So, I'd rather not loose any more of these. What are you all doing to keep these from flying away......?

I use a longer screw into the wing tip with a modified washer . No sticky stuff .

Cool vids,

Curious how you attach your gopro.

I attached a gopro with the adhesive plate on the center of the wind screen frame where it meets the canopy. Took off yesterday morning and at about 1000' and 100 mph I heard a thud which scared the **** out of me. Looked up to see the camera and adhesive mount separated and hit the vertical stab dead center. In hind site I should have put it 3 inches left or right. Now I have a nice little dent to deal with. Anyhow, at least in this case, the 3m adhesive was insufficient.

So, I'd rather not loose any more of these. What are you all doing to keep these from flying away......?

Okay, putting on my cfi hat: Unless there was a compelling reason to do otherwise, you should keep going until completely on the other side of the hold short line....

Absolutely, 1.7 million construction project wrapping up . Inspector in my taxi path not paying attention. Had to make sure he had a visual before proceeding.

Back