What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightest build RV-12

NinerBikes

Well Known Member
Curious what your build weight numbers were for weigh in on your certificate? What's considered a light build, with wheel pants installed, and no paint?

What's a good, light build?

Did you zinc Chromate paint the insides of the fuselage for corrosion protection, or leave it untreated, and why ???

Parts you might have used to keep your bird lean and hungry?

Last edited:
I think the added weight (sitting in the seats) might have more barring on this discussion. Some of us are a little heavier than 200 lbs the FAA considers standard passenger weight - seat belt extenders come to mind. Funny to see a bunch of fat guys standing around discussing empty weight of aircraft... :D

Last edited:
I think the added weight (sitting in the seats) might have more barring on this discussion. Some of us are a little heavier than 200 lbs the FAA considers standard passenger weight - seat belt extenders come to mind. Funny to see a bunch of fat guys standing around discussing empty weight of aircraft... :D

I can't fix the 1320# limit for LSA. I'm 255. Not thin, but at 6'5" and 60 the pounds aren't coming off of me like they used to. I don't see the FAA making a 1550 # E LSA class, with their speed of molasses rate that they make changes... so what are all us big boys supposed to do?

So what I can do, is look for and ask about guidelines on how a few shaved a few pounds off their build, and what's the lower limit observed so far, and how did they do it. Some of it is a proud bird with no paint, 20 to 25#'s there, saved, or maybe just the cowling.

What's your bird's stated weight on the certificate, that's the question. And how did you get it at or under 750#?

Last edited:
The main reason I chose an alternative engine was to give me additional useful load (572lbs). I have carried 440 pounds in the front seats with full fuel and about 10 pounds for baggage. I have wheel pants plus paint.

I only have an 80 hp engine so you would give up some performance relative to the Rotax. The Jabiru 2200 engine with all accessories and prop is about 35 pounds lighter than the Rotax.

Funny to see a bunch of fat guys standing around discussing empty weight of aircraft... :D

Very true. I think just about all of us can stand to lose 20lbs.. at least those of us in America :D. and i?m no exception. 20 pays for your paint and your internal primer. 30 will pay for your interior kit too.

save money on food, fuel, plus it helps extend your medical cert :)

What's your bird's stated weight on the certificate, that's the question. And how did you get it at or under 750#?
Mine said 749 when I bought it. Paint, wheel pants, autopilot, no lights.

Let's just say I have no immediate plans to roll it onto the scales and check that number. I have lightened it up a little by removing a few sockets from under the floor pan and a flashlight from the left wing. :)

Mine said 749 when I bought it. Paint, wheel pants, autopilot, no lights.

Let's just say I have no immediate plans to roll it onto the scales and check that number. I have lightened it up a little by removing a few sockets from under the floor pan and a flashlight from the left wing. :)

Very funny, Dale. Was that built by an AP or ?

Thoughts on interior of wings and fuselage painted in zinc Chromate? Why or why not? What's it weigh?

Very funny, Dale. Was that built by an AP or ?

Thoughts on interior of wings and fuselage painted in zinc Chromate? Why or why not? What's it weigh?

No significant priming inside this airplane. Since it's alclad, probably not necessary (refer to the many "primer wars" threads for both sides of the argument). It was finished in 2011, and we've found zero evidence of any corrosion, anywhere, ever. I did prime the new nose wheel fork, though the old one didn't show any corrosion. The gear legs were not primed or painted; we recently cleaned and painted them. The outside of the plane is painted, and quite frankly that's where I would be more concerned about corrosion.

Back