What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F1 Rocket finds new home

sailvi767

Well Known Member
The RV6 I was a partner in was sold in last fall. Shortly after it was sold I started looking for a RV8 as a replacement. I was a bit surprised in the run up in eight prices since I last looked. It also seemed the good ones moved very fast or by word of mouth. With the increase in eight prices I noticed that Rockets had not increased and looked at them as a option. I found the community extremely helpful. Mark Fredrick, Bob Japundza, Vince Frazier and others all took time to discuss the aircraft and some specific airframes available.
In the end I purchased Jim Winings yellow rocket. Is about as bare boned as you will find a rocket but after reading about Jim Winings on this sight the aircraft seemed to speak to me. I hope to give it a great home! Picked it up yesterday and flew it down from Northern Ohio to Charlotte. It?s not a 300 HP rocket but the performance was excellent. Came home at 11,500, 200 knots true on 11.2 gallons a hour. My home field can make for interesting landings and since I had no landings in a eight or Rocket in the front seat I planned on some slow flight and then doing 6 to 8 touch and goes at a nearby wide and long runway. Then I would hop over to the home field if I was comfortable or if not leave it there. It flies slow great with a nice prestall buffet and broke cleanly with no tendency to drop a wing. Headed to the pattern and did 3 touch and goes and it was totally honest and easier to land than my six so I headed home.
Sadly I have to work through Sunday but can?t wait to get back and start exploring the aircraft. Will fly it as is for a bit and then look at a panel upgrade and new seats. Any recommendations for Rocket seats?
George

Glad to see Jim’s Rocket find a great home. I saw that it was for sale. You’ll not find a finer flying Rocket anywhere. Jim was a great guy and a good friend. I miss him.

Back