What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider windshield bow fit ALMOST perfect...!

papamike

Well Known Member
Hey everybody. I read an older post from 2-3 years ago where somebody had a perfect windshield bow. Mine is very nearly so, but I want to make sure...

Is it OK to have a very slight preload pulling the frame into position to mount it? Not sure it's worth the work to bend it for the small amount of adjustment that may be needed.

I also have a little bit of "toe-in" on the left side. Does that support brace have to be parallel, or can I get away with that difference as long as the position is correct and the bar is square?

011416019.jpg

Thanks

I tried and tried to bend mine. It wouldn't budge. It was off about 3/8". I finally just clamped it down and stuck bolts in it. Been fine for >10 years. That toe-in isn't going to hurt anything. Bolt it down and find something else to worry about.

Leave it alone

I adjusted the width of mine and it was a lot of work. I built a jig from 2x4s with stops at each end. Then used a car scissors jack at one end to bend the ends together. The deflection was 9" before the roll bar started to change length. If you can get yours to mount to the right dimensions with light hand pressure I'd do it that way.

Thanks for the replies. I've got it drilled and I'm working on the center brace now. Don't want to jinx it, but I hope the rest of the canopy goes like this...

Back