What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual Elevator Trim Postion Sensor - Good or Bad Idea?

snoopyflys

Well Known Member
I am contemplating installing a position sensor for my manual elevator trim in my -7a. Any one done such a thing? If so, any gotchas or tips for hooking up to a EFIS or stand alone panel indicator?

Thanks,

Do a quick search. Lots of discussions.
I personally don't get why anyone would want it, or think they need it.

The only time you need to know the position is prior to take off and you can check that visually.
During flight you simply adjust it as needed.

Last edited:
I can see mine fine from the pilot seat. I typically set it immediately after shut-down. Now if you fly from the right-hand seat it may be more difficult.
You can also check it during the walk-around.

I can see mine fine from the pilot seat. I typically set it immediately after shut-down. Now if you fly from the right-hand seat it may be more difficult.
You can also check it during the walk-around.

It's not being on the ground that is a challenge for me. Its any other T/O's you make without getting out of the plane. And from what I remember, I am wedged pretty good against the canopy. Can't remember exactly but I just don't think I could see it from inside the plane. I started my own discussion on this topic a while back too.

EDIT: To the OP, I have learned to live with it in spite of my initial desire to be able to reset the trim to neutral. It just may be a little more or less difficult to lift the tail on the roll but in practive, it has become of very little concern.

Put the tab to neutral and feel how many fingers of clearance you have between the knob and the friction knob. Couple of times and you'll have the "feel" down. Also, if you have a formation/bogey mirror, you can visually check the tab on the ground when the elevator is deflected up. No need to strain your neck!

File a small notch

on the shaft in the neutral position -- fill with white paint. Works great on my -6A to position for takeoff. I can leave it in that position unless I "go fast", or power back and lower flaps.

Ron

T/O setting

The only time you need to know the exact position is prior to takeoff.
Set the trim to neutral-visually, then wind in the trim to full down and count the number of turns. Now each time before takeoff wind the trim in then count that number of turns out.

Cheap,Simple, easy, and almost foolproof.

I put a mark on my Trim knob so that I can see a full turn.

Peter

The only time you need to know the exact position is prior to takeoff.
Set the trim to neutral-visually, then wind in the trim to full down and count the number of turns. Now each time before takeoff wind the trim in then count that number of turns out.

Cheap,Simple, easy, and almost foolproof.

I put a mark on my Trim knob so that I can see a full turn.

Peter

+1 - This what Mike Seager taught me during transition training. Count the turns, your wrist may vary, and done. The same way my 182 instructor taught me during instrument training. I never looked at the indicator, just checked the tab before TO. With the ease of manual trim, I am wondering how the electric is going to be easier.

What Ron said

Except I used a hacksaw blade to cut a shallow groove and filled it with red paint. I look at it to find neutral position before every flight. Mike Seager's system works well too, but I'm simple minded.

Back