What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR GPS / Steam Gauges

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
Reference the recent post about IFR GPS by Bevan-

I know I'm a little off topic here but the non GPS ILS by itself is still a viable option isn't it? I have an older Narco 122 that tracks the low airways fine and is capable of a full VOR or ILS (with glideslope) approach. I also have a Garmin 296 as a backup along with an IPAD Mini running Foreflight. I realize the latter two are not IFR legal for approaches (except the IPAD as an EFB) but the Narco does seem to fly approaches just fine.

Yeah, I know- why don't I just upgrade to a glass panel like my buddies in KC, Ripper, Maverick & Yobo with full IFR GPS and coupled approaches? Because I'm cheap and having too much fun flying and don't want my airplane down for a panel upgrade. Well, maybe if I get the right Lotto ticket.....

The pictures below show that with a little planning ahead you can have a pretty capable (but limited of course) panel.

Not that I fly IFR mind you, just saying that you can have a VFR airplane with some capability to get down through the weather if you get stuck on top unexpectedly, all within a budget. Sure it's not the latest and greatest glass (not even in the same ballpark) but it works.

Oly

15nnax4.jpg

3sz0w.jpg

Last edited:
Nice panel Oly!

Our panel's capabilities are similar. As I ponder the next challenge, I was wondering what it takes to get to the point I am allowed to "file" IFR (in Canada).

Bevan

Absolutely! There are still some days/places when ONLY the ILS can get you in. But you need an airport with an ILS, of course. Not only that, you also need other equipment in most places, such as a marker beacon, or, (gasp!) an ADF (required at my home airport). OR a certified gps in lieu of MB or ADF.

This brings up a very interesting question:

Does the Gemini (or other "velocity vector" based pitch and bank display) qualify as a "gyroscopic pitch and bank indicator" under FAR 91.205?

One could argue that the Gemini attitude display, in the short term, is gyro-based. But it does not act exactly like a true gyroscopic indicator in all circumstances.

So: Is the Gemini a "legal" attitude indicator for IFR?

Last edited:
IFR Required equipment

Bevan,

I think this is the stuff you need, not sure about Canada though.

See below,
Oly

Required Instruments:

VFR
A - Altimeter
T - Tachometer
O ? Oil Temp Gauge
M ? Manifold Pressure Gauge
A ? Airspeed Indicator
O ? Oil Pressure Gauge
F ? Fuel Gauge
L ? Landing Gear Position Ind
A ? Anti-Collision Lights
M ? Magnetic Compass
E ? E. L. T.
S ? Seat Belts

VFR ? NIGHT
F - Fuses
L ? Landing Light
A ? Anti Collision Lights
P ? Position Lights
S ? Source of Electric Power

IFR
G ? Gyro Pitch / Attitude Ind. (Artificial Horizon)
R - Radios
A ? Altimeter w/ Knollsman
N ? Navigation Equipment
D ? Directional Gyro / Heading Indicator
C - Clock
A ? Alternator / Generator
R ? Rate of Turn Ind. (Gyro)
S ? Slip / Skid Ind. (Gyro)

lights

Might want to read the FAR's concerning lights. anti-collision lights aren't required day or night VFR, only position lights at night. anti-collision have to be turned on if equipped unless the pilot deems them unsafe to operate i.e. in a cloud.

Might want to read the FAR's concerning lights. anti-collision lights aren't required day or night VFR, only position lights at night. anti-collision have to be turned on if equipped unless the pilot deems them unsafe to operate i.e. in a cloud.

My operating limitations say I have to follow 91.205 to fly at night. 91.205 says I need anti-collision lights to fly at night.

Last edited:

Bob's right. You have to have both. Here's what 91.205 says:

Visual flight rules (night). For VFR flight at night, the following instruments and equipment are required
(1) Instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (b) of this section.
(2) Approved position lights.
(3) An approved aviation red or aviation white anticollision light system on all U.S.-registered civil aircraft. Anticollision light systems...

(4) If the aircraft is operated for hire, one electric landing light.
(5) An adequate source of electrical energy for all installed electrical and radio equipment.
(6) One spare set of fuses, or three spare fuses of each kind required, that are accessible to the pilot in flight

Last edited:
Back