What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

stripping Powder coat

RV7Guy

Well Known Member
A search did not come up with anything. I am stripping the roll bar and canopy frame to get it re powder coated in flat black. I tried some stripper from Home Depot with unfavorable results.

Anyone else strip powder coat? What did you use? I've got an automotive paint supply place that probably has a little better, more aggressive stripper.

Thanks in advance.

strongest stuff that I have used is called Aviation stripper. You can find it at autozone. Very nasty stuff. However, I doubt it will work on a powder coat finish. That stuff is heat set and not catalyzed like all other durable paints. It is essentially melted in place. It is more like plastic than paint.

You will likely have to scrape or sand it. A wire wheel should work as well, though I've never tried it. I would call your powder coat shop. They may be able to go right over it with a new coat. Only need to scrape enough for them to get their ground clamp on.

Larry

EDIT: You could also just scuff it flat and paint it with flat black rattle can or 2K single stage. Paint sticks well if it the PC is scuffed.

flsme on

I just dropped my front stick off at the powder coater. I asked them how they got the old stuff off.... answer, "we burn it off"

Zip Strip

I used Zip Strip from Lowes. You need to leave it on for 15 minutes or so. Wear gloves, safety glasses and go at it with a wire wheel on a portable drill. Most will come off with the first application, some areas will need a second application most likely in the weld areas.

If you don't want to mess with it just have the powder coat company take care of it.

Gary

I just dropped my front stick off at the powder coater. I asked them how they got the old stuff off.... answer, "we burn it off"

That would scare me a bit from a metallurgy standpoint especially on aluminum and an airplane where you rely heavily on things being as designed.

Paint stripper can work, must be soaked as mentioned.

Sand blasting will work also, takes awhile.

You can powder over old powder, I have not done it with color change though.

Hints for home builders at EAA.org has a video that shows removing powdercoat with a propane torch.

The video is under general topics. The presenter is John Monnett. He uses the propane torch to soften the powdercoat then uses a wire brush to remove it.

Back