What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNS 430W wiring question

Tbone

Well Known Member
Trying to install my 430w and it has 3 power wires (two for com and one for gps/nav). Should each get there own dedicated breaker?

Two COM wires to one breaker (10A I believe) and the GPS/NAV to a second breaker (5A I believe).

Get a 430w install manual (search online for a copy), then you will have Garmin's recommendations on that's this and other installation questions.

Two COM wires to one breaker (10A I believe) and the GPS/NAV to a second breaker (5A I believe).

Yep, that's what I did based on a wiring diagram I had drawn up for me by Stein's. There are 2 com power wires, pins 11 and 12 (12 jumpered to 11) on P4002, and two nav power wires, pins 19 and 20 (20 jumpered to 19) on P4001. Protected as stated above.

I believe that Garmin provides alternate power inputs so that you could wire the GNS430W to a separate power switch. The benefit would be that you could energize the GPS/NAV/COM and program a route, listen to ATIS, perhaps get a clearance all with out draining your battery with the master on and whatever might run with it.
Beneficial for some, not so much for others. It all depends on what your wants/need.

Don

Back