What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kannad Din 12 connector ?

N319BC

Couldn't find a good answer so I'm going to ask.
The 24 g wires that go from the panel to the Kannad 406-AF (din 12 connector) are to large to "fit" inside the pins A, G & J of the connector. Am I suppose to use a smaller wire that will fit inside the connector pins to get a good solder joint? or do I peal away the existing wire strands in order to get a good snug fit? It looks like I'll have to remove a large number of strands. And, I don't really want to solder the wire on top of the pins.

Thanks

john

This connector is a royal PITA. I had to buy a replacement after I just totally melted and mangled the first one trying to solder the wires into those solder cups. You can get the 24 ga wire into the solder cups if you carefully pre-tin them and pre-fill the solder cups with solder. But, if I was to do it all over again, I would consider using some small solder sleeves trimmed on one end so that the solder ring would melt and bind the wire to the side of the solder cup. The heat shrink of the sleeve would provide a lot of strength for the wire. The ones I had were very small, probably about 1/16" in diameter. Alternatively, just solder to the side of the solder cup and slide a piece of heat shrink over the joint for strength and insulation

John

A 24g wire will solder on. If you look, the pin is cut at an angle and the wire basically sits on that. The pin is not really hollow. So no a smaller size wire will really go in more than 1/16
Mine is sitting on my bench and it's one of my next jobs to do. I much prefer crimped fittings than solder:(

Where have you mounted the ELT?

Cheers

Peter

John

A 24g wire will solder on. If you look, the pin is cut at an angle and the wire basically sits on that. The pin is not really hollow. So no a smaller size wire will really go in more than 1/16
Mine is sitting on my bench and it's one of my next jobs to do. I much prefer crimped fittings than solder:(

Where have you mounted the ELT?

Cheers

Peter
Thanks for the advice , I wasn't aware that the pins weren't hollow. Solder and heat shrink it is. I wasn't aware that there was enough room on the bevel to attach the wire to. Will give it a go.

Mounting is in the tailcone section of the baggage area of the -10

Also, I'm on my second one as well:mad:. I melted the pin alignment trying to get a good bond. Now it won't fit in the 406. Part of the 51% rule?

john

Last edited:
You have gold plated pins which conduct heat very rapidly, molded into a nice plastic plug...a recipe for melting the thing. I've seen some recommend taking a potato, cutting it in half, pushing the plug into the potato so it acts as a heat sink. I didn't do that, but it might work. You have to get in and out quickly. Good luck, I hated working on it.

You have gold plated pins which conduct heat very rapidly, molded into a nice plastic plug...a recipe for melting the thing. I've seen some recommend taking a potato, cutting it in half, pushing the plug into the potato so it acts as a heat sink. I didn't do that, but it might work. You have to get in and out quickly. Good luck, I hated working on it.

Another technique (for any solder style connector) is to plug it into its mating connector prior to soldering. If the plastic substrate *does* get soft, the other connector will act as both a heat sink and a stabilizer for the pins in the softened substrate.

Charlie

Mounting

John

I'm interested in your mounting position. As for the ELT to get a GPS position it needs to be able to see the sky. I'm thinking of mounting mine in the baggage compartment. I had thought of under the fin. But there's also trim cables there.

Peter

SkyView GPS data into a Kannad ELT?

Has anyone determined whether my new SV-GPS 2020 can be wired to the Kannad Integra ELT so it will always have good position data?

Another technique (for any solder style connector) is to plug it into its mating connector prior to soldering. If the plastic substrate *does* get soft, the other connector will act as both a heat sink and a stabilizer for the pins in the softened substrate.

Charlie

I will be working with this connector within the day, and that is an excellent suggestion!

Thanks,
Michael

OK, just melted my DIN 12#$^&*&^$%@ so, you can't buy just the head with the pins....so, there goes 30.00 When my replacement gets here I think ill try the potato trick......

Last edited:
Has anyone determined whether my new SV-GPS 2020 can be wired to the Kannad Integra ELT so it will always have good position data?[/QUOTE

Just bought this one, it has a build in GPS, as long as the antenna is on the plane, it also has a built in GPS antenna on the unit its self, I plan on mounting it in the baggage area for a RF window, also if I end up upside down I can grab it and plug in my extra antenna that is Velcro under the dash (there to plug in backup handheld...or ELT)

Back