What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camping at Johnson Crick

Sid Lambert

Well Known Member
A few guys are planning a trip up to ID the first week of July. None of us have been so I'd like to ask a few questions...

What did you do for food? Did you bring everything in and cook for yourself or did you fly out for breakfast, grab a snack for lunch and wonder in to Yellow Pine for beer and burgers later?

I notice it says it has WiFi. Does it really work for getting weather and the likes?

I remember reading their was a noisy, beer drinking side and a quiet family side. Which side is which?

Any must see airports for RV's?

Thanks for the replies.

Crick

Finally, somebody got it right. I'm from Grangeville,ID and of course, there is no such thing as a creek. I'm jealous, wish I could get back there and actually make a living.

Don

Shopping for Supplies in Mc Call

When I go in to J. Crick, I go in heavy with supplies and camping gear. As soon as I unload to my campsite, I go back to Mc Call (about 30 s.m.) where there is an everything grocery store right across from the airport. You can get a fishing license, camping gear, clothes and all foods and beverages. I shop for the heavy or bulky stuff that I don't want to carry on a 500 mile trip. Mc Call is a delightful town and about a mile walk from your plane is the lake front. As far as noise it is hit or mis, but usually quiet and I have never been kept awake. Even in our little hot rods BE AWARE of density altitude. It won't be a problem if you plan for it. Food in yellow Pine is mediocre at best, but be sure to go there for the small mountain town atmosphere.

The flying B is a great place for breakfast. Don't go there if you are not mountain proficient. If you are it is a great ride down a narrow canyon. (call ahead for reservations though)

Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"

Bring cooking equipment. You can get basic victuals in Yellowpine, or go to McCall's supermarket. The caretakers have Tue/Wed off so the van is not available for Yellowpine.

The south side of the caretaker's facility is the more open party area, but still nice campsites along the river. North side is more secluded. Groups occupy the south side. Avoid organized fly-ins: Supercubs, 180/5, Backcountry, Harmonica Fesitival. Check the calendar at idahoaviation.com and join the organization.

If wifi is not working, there's a phone to call FSS.

If you fly out for breakfast, Flying B runway is grassy, but avoid all others. Sulphur and Root ranches offer food and rocks big enough to wipe out your wheel fairings and horizontal. If you aren't extremely proficient and comfortable maneuvering with hard cliffs a few feet off your wingtip, don't go to The B either. Smiley Creek has excellent pilot camping facilities like JC and a for-real restaurant 300 yards away. Good runway, easy approaches. Most all other back country strips are gravelly at best.

Blunt staying alive motherhood follows. We always have a few flatlander deaths in ID every year. I shall be blunt.

Land uphill, take off downhill. Always. If you can't figure which is which, stay home. If you think the wind is too strong for a downhill/downwind take-off, it's too windy to fly. At JC, this will also keep you from flying over the white house at the south end. This is to be avoided since this family has control of half the JC land.

Learn to fly before you come up here. "Practice" approaches and landings annoy everyone and irritate the Forest Service. Land and shut down. Fly-bys to show us how great you are really demonstrate your callousness.

RVs are slippery, and what with the higher density altitudes your touch-down ground speed is noticeable higher. This seems to throw off the fixed pitch drivers more than CS and they seem to arrive at the threshold too high, too fast at first. If you think you should go around, make the decision early. At JC, if you touch down as far as midfield, you'll still easily stop in the remaining runway.

Get Galen Hanselman's "Fly Idaho". Information is ancient, but flying advice is still pertinent.

John Siebold

The lodge at Smiley Crick is also a short hop away. Basic supplies are available in the general store. A courtesy car is available to drive 8 miles north to Stanley, ID.
Sulphur Crick also has a lodge that serves meals but the strip may not be RV friendly. The restaurant in the lodge at Big Crick is still out of business due to the kitchen fire a couple of years ago.
There is a general store in Yellow Pine but it serves the 30 town residents so selection is limited. So bring everything in the plane and/or make a supply run to McCall. You'll likely fuel up there before heading home anyway.

Pardon..do you have any grey poupon?

A few guys are planning a trip up to ID the first week of July. None of us have been so I'd like to ask a few questions...

What did you do for food? Did you bring everything in and cook for yourself or did you fly out for breakfast, grab a snack for lunch and wonder in to Yellow Pine for beer and burgers later?

I notice it says it has WiFi. Does it really work for getting weather and the likes?

I remember reading their was a noisy, beer drinking side and a quiet family side. Which side is which?

Any must see airports for RV's?

Thanks for the replies.
Hi Sid,
I have been frequenting the back country with my RV's since 97', you have chosen wisely. Johnson Creek is an ID showplace where you can take a girl and "uptown" camp. Great suggestions form all previous. Here are mine.

Parking: http://www.airnav.com/airport/3U2
I park on the far North end for quiet having seen the alternative many times. The closer to the showers and South end, the higher the DB. Food:Breakfast st Sulphur Creek or even McCall's (KMYL) pancake house isn't that far and incredible. While there you can buy groceries and beverages and carry back with more room in your airplane (minus gear). Saves weight and you get fresh stuff for grill cooking. I like Dixie Town for breakfast. Atlanta has a good breakfast as well. ll the campsites have outdoor grills. Airports of note:My favorite campsite is U72. (Upper Loon Creek) where there is also good fishing upstream. I wouldn't go there with an "A" model though. I have visited Cold Meadows many times, as well as Moose Creek which are all good camping and neat, historic places. Note: Check with local USFS for fire danger or fires and as always TFR's.

Some things to consider:

1. Mountain flying experience. If none, I recommend you chat with LM at McCall Mountain Canyon Flying. www.mountaincanyonflying.com tell them I sent you.

2. PPPPP. (Prior Planning Prevents P... Poor Performance)Watch your weight in the mountains. Reduced loads and fuel make the RV a reasonable back country platform. If you think you can live without it for 3 days, you can. 3U2 is plenty long but lots of big rocks on both sides of the canyon. It is a one way in/out strip, land south, depart north. Most commercial operators fly the mountains early in the AM and late in the evening. Mid day is hot and bumpy and high density alt. References:The Idaho Pilots ASSN is a great resource as well. As previously mentioned, GH's "Fly Idaho" is a classic. I am honored to own a signed original.

3. Contingencies. Check weather often. Cell phone coverage below canyon rims is N/A. However, now you can use the WIFI (still can't believe that) at JC to get weather updates! FYI, you can get socked in pretty quick with fronts and "canyon locked". Been there, done that, stayed there a week longer than planned. Carry a PLB if you don't already and some minimum survival gear on your person, not in the map case. Have a contingency plan for emergency landings.

4. "Tiny" Tires/ wheel-pants: Stock Pressure Recovery RV wheel pants on 500X5 tires will get beat up on most of the strips besides J.C and Big Creek, as mentioned above. Trust me, I have tried all but 2 in the book in my RV4. Some have drainage furrows made of hard rubber (soldier bar) that will also strike your wheel pants. You can either remove them (I wouldn't, they protect HS from rocks) or modify them. I "raised my pants" and use 380X150X5 tires. *If you can fit a 2X4 behind your wheel pant on the ground, you won't tear them up. One technique is to service the tires to 35 PSI before you leave for max clearance. I also add "Slime" inside my tubes to avoid flats. I bring a 12V air pump, patch kit and tools with me as well.

V/R
Smokey
www.fly-4-life.com

My RV4 "The Bandit" at U72

Last edited:
Some things to consider:

1. Mountain flying experience. If none, I recommend you chat with LM at McCall Mountain Canyon Flying. www.mountaincanyonflying.com tell them I sent you.

My RV4 "The Bandit" at U72

I can vouch for Mountain Canyon Flying and Lori. I went as "co pilot" and learned more in 4 days than all my other flying experience. Learning how to make a 180 in 3-4 wingspans is a life saver in the mountains. Jason Elam brought his beautiful Beaver into JC. That was pretty cool.

And Smokey, you have a beautiful plane.

Gracias Amigo...

And Smokey, you have a beautiful plane.

Appreciate the kind words sir, it recently passed 2000 hours with it's new owner, 1500 of which were mine...great airplane.

One of my notable back-country moments was getting gas at McCall once when Harrison Ford in his gorgeous Beaver and entourage arrived at the pumps.

As he climbed up on the wing I handed him the fuel hose and said, "Hey dude, you're famous" :)

V/R
Smokey

PS: Keep banging those rivets!

Last edited:
Back