What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ifly RV-10?

pierre smith

Well Known Member
What's the secret to contacting these guys? I've called three times since last Friday with no replies. E-mail, ya reckon?

Thanks,

I left Steve two messages over a couple days span a few weeks ago. Took him about a week to return my call, but that was also around Thanksgiving.

I'd say be patient.

Jim

Yep, be patient. I usually got a response from Steve with email. He is a busy guy, but it is worth the wait.

I've had issues, too

Not to be overly negative, but I won't do business with Steve anymore. I've made two orders from him. Both orders took weeks to be filled. In the second one, I bought trim-servo brackets. I installed them, only to find that the holes were in the wrong place. Then I discovered they were not made from the correct angle. It looked like Home Depot angle (no inside radious). I ended up just building the brackets myself from the angle provided in the kit. Eventually Steve contacted me and expressed that he was sorry. He said he would send me a mailer so I could return the brackets for him to inspect and that I should expect a refund for the parts. I never got the mailer to return the brackets, and I never got the refund. That was back in July. Really, it's not so much the $12.00 I care about. Big deal. The low-quality Aluminum. Now that gets my attention. You know I went back and checked all the other parts I bought from him.

Nope. I'll never do business with iflyrv10.com again. I'm sure Steve's a great guy and all. I really hold nothing personally against him, either. No doubt he's really busy with his day job and family, etc. But when you have a business and customers, ... well, it seems he just doesn't take his rv10 business or customers very seriously. You know what they say. Takes years to build a reputation and minutes to destroy one.

My build log description of the "incident":
http://airplane.athomeinthewilburness.com/?p=97

Anyway, None of this stuff is worth losing sleep over in the grand scheme. I hope everyone can enjoy some special time with their loved ones over these next couple of weeks.

It's simple.

All I really want to know is, "How long are the door pins from the shoulder to the tip, excluding the threaded part."

Easy peasy,

I've been having a hard time reaching him as well. Sent a few emails and no response. Most of it is about buying more product. If I ran a business where I ignored people asking how to buy my product I'd be out of money.

So looks like it's time to start looking for alternative options for things I expected to buy from there.

Pierre, Just shy of 3/4" -Jim

P.S. The tip is centered on 6"...the parallax of the picture shows otherwise.

Sean's the one

Sean's the guy for door pins, unless you have something unusual you are working with. Even then, I think he can do one-off stuff no problem. I think Sean knows more about how RV-10 door mechanisms work than anyone...

Thanks, guys.

Pierre, Just shy of 3/4" -Jim

P.S. The tip is centered on 6"...the parallax of the picture shows otherwise.

Just what the doctor ordered. My bevelled cut goes into the structure but not the straight part of the latching pin.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is what caused some of the door failures on -10's!....insufficient latch penetration.

Best,

IFLYRV10

Man am I irritated. Ordered numerous parts from this guy, paid on the 12th, wouldn't communicate with me, finally after leaving a nasty message, he sent me a fake shipping label, never shipped and now won't respond to multiple phone calls or emails. I'll probably never get my product, he got my money and I'm left installing the sorry trim cable brackets from Vans. Save yourself the hassle, don't ever send money to this guy. It's about time he shuts his lemonade stand down.
Don Oltman

Don, In the e-mail that Steve sent me on Jan 23d said he was leaving for a business trip. Definitely not a great successful business practice, but I believe with time you'll get your parts. Skip to the next section and press on...there will be many more delays for various reasons in the future of the build. -Jim P.S. I'm waiting on a couple parts too.

IFLYRV10

I think we're both livin in a dream world. I don't think you're going to get your parts either. What I didn't tell you was that he received my payment on January 12th. He had 11 days before his all important overseas trip to send me the package. I'm officially through venting, movin on, but anybody ordering from this guy and believing they're going to get something back in return is dreamin. OK, now I'm done.
Don

Pierre,
Sean's pins mimic the vans taper and will work better than the bullets pins when used with the HMMV material. I know, I have tried both... You will get plenty of extension with his pins
Bill

FWIW, I received an e-mail back from Steve this evening between my last post and now. So I'd expect he's getting through a back-log. Also, previous transaction for different parts a year plus ago was fine. So from my viewpoint this isn't a trend per se. My optimism still thinks it'll all work out in the end. Best to you, -Jim

Parts

A bit of a retraction. I finally recieved my parts today from Steve. While it took forever, I have to admit that the parts look great. I guess next time I'll just order a month in advance.

Don

Iflyrv10 non response

I think we're both livin in a dream world. I don't think you're going to get your parts either. What I didn't tell you was that he received my payment on January 12th. He had 11 days before his all important overseas trip to send me the package. I'm officially through venting, movin on, but anybody ordering from this guy and believing they're going to get something back in return is dreamin. OK, now I'm done.
Don

I wish I had read this thread two months ago! I ordered the door locks from iflyrv10, my credit card was immediately charged, and I waited a month...nothing arrived. I called all of his phone numbers and left messages; then I e-mailed his site asking what happened. Eventually he e-mailed an apology and a shipping notice (which was never activated). I've waited another month, have sent him e-mails and called like before. I still have not received any reply nor the parts.

If I were you folks, I'd stay away from iflyrv10...he takes our money then hides. That's the definition of "robbery", not "customer service."

Seriously lacking

Yes, I tried also to get a hold of that guy with no luck. Called several times, left a couple messages a month ago... I just had some questions because.... God forbid, I wanted to order something from him mad spend money.... ;(
Turns out Sean from Planearound answered my question. AND it turns out that those pretty flush handles just don't work well with Sean's third latch... And IMO the safety and functionality of that latch surpasses the flush handles. As Sean pointed out, you need a smooth moving handle that'll travel 180 for it to work well.
So I decided to design and machine some new handles for the exterior of the doors on the 10. Slick looking and simple drop ins onto the stock hardware. Once I have them in my hand I'll take some pictures and see if there's any takers out there to make some more......

That guy shouldn't have a website if he can't follow through.....

IFlyRV10 still in operation

I'm reopening an old thread to post my experience with Steve at IFlyRV10.com. I ordered a few small parts from Steve's online store and didn't get any response for about 10 days. After reading this string of posts I jumped to conclusions and thought he had shut down the business and left his website up. I opened a dispute with Paypal to try to get my money refunded then received an immediate response from Steve with a very good explanation. I feel like an *** for going that route. He lives in the Buffalo area and is buried under many feet of snow after the snowvember record storms they had. He is very much in business and I'm happy to report that my parts are on the way.

IFlyRV10 still in operation

I received my parts today. The brackets look great and they should save me a few hours of construction time.

flush door handles and third latch

I installed the flush handle and the third latch on my 10.

I liked how the flush handle looked, wanted to have a key lock and I felt like I wanted the safety of the third latch.

It took a little work but I am pleased the way it turned out and the smoothness of its operation.

I haven't heard of others having problems. I only have 60 hours on my plane however.

Back