What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grippy surface tape?

Tram

Well Known Member
Hey guys-

I was flying with a guy the other day and noticed he had some really nice grippy tape stuff along the edges of the canopy formers, so when you get into and out of the airplane, you're not scuffing up the paint, etc.

I was wondering if any of you guys might know of a suitable product for this? I asked him and he's the 4th owner of the RV, so he wasn't sure. ;)

Anyone?

You may also be able to use the clear or colored vinyl that is used on the front of high end vehicles. It holds up quite well.

tape

Was it Mylar? I use it in wear areas around cowlings and in between baffles so it doesn't crack them. Drawback is that it is expensive, just paid $36 for a roll of it.
Don

Clear

I got thick clear tape to protect these areas from McMaster Carr. They have lots of choices. For my wing I used clear grip tape from a motorcycle shop. They use it on the side of gas tanks on dirt bikes. Also, skate board shops have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it like wing walk tape???

If so, you can buy it at many hardware stores.

No, it wasn't as abrasive as wing walk tape. It was plastic or rubbery.

You may also be able to use the clear or colored vinyl that is used on the front of high end vehicles. It holds up quite well.

Hmm.. Hadn't thought about that. I may check it out.

Was it Mylar? I use it in wear areas around cowlings and in between baffles so it doesn't crack them. Drawback is that it is expensive, just paid $36 for a roll of it.
Don

I'm not sure if it was mylar or not. It was like wing talk tape, but rubbery.

I got thick clear tape to protect these areas from McMaster Carr. They have lots of choices. For my wing I used clear grip tape from a motorcycle shop. They use it on the side of gas tanks on dirt bikes. Also, skate board shops have it.

I want to put this on the "rails" of the canopy. I dunno what that longeron is called, basically, the part you'd rest your elbow on, if the tip up, was up. :)

I'll check that out. Thanks.

Back