What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator skin issues

donoltman

We're on a decent clip, vertical, rudder and horizontal finished in 28 days. Ready to buck rivets on the elevator and have a problem. Have viewed many pictures and have seen the back end of the E-913 install over and under the E-1001A and E-1001B skins. If the E-913 is installed over the skin it is in trail and the skin is smooth but leaves a funny look. If installed under the E-1001 skins it looks better but leaves a hump in the metal. Which is correct? I've looked at the pictures in the elevator section and also the empennage attach section, many pictures of airplanes and it is still confusing. Need to hear from guys that have built their 10's already. Thanks for the help.

Don Oltman

I recall having the same question, so there may be something in the archives. I was advised to place the E-913 counterweight skin under the E-1001 elevator skin, and it looks fine.

BTW - don't go too fast, you will miss the satisfaction of the metal work when it is done. I've just spent three weeks on fairings, and have a bit yet to row.

elevator skins

I recall having the same question, so there may be something in the archives. I was advised to place the E-913 counterweight skin under the E-1001 elevator skin, and it looks fine.

BTW - don't go too fast, you will miss the satisfaction of the metal work when it is done. I've just spent three weeks on fairings, and have a bit yet to row.

Thanks. It definately looks better under the E-1001 skins, but wanted to make sure prior to pulling the trigger.
The amount of time I spend with a vixen and a scotchbrite wheel is amazing. Can't stand edges that aren't smooth. My build partner is a retired electrical engineer so things are moving along.

Check again..

I am about to rivet together the elevators for my 10 as well. I can't recall the exact drawing in the plan sheets (or couple of drawings) that I used to piece this together, but I believe the 913 sits on top of the elevator skin. I know it looks funny now, but I think that when the tips get glassed on this area can be smoothed out. You don't want any extra stresses on the skins and I think if you put the elevator skin on top, you have the potential for the breeze to catch it. Take another look at the drawings. Anyone else want to chime in before two people potentially "do it wrong?" :mad:

Working Same Plan Section

I had to double check it too as I'm at the same point in the build. Page 9-14 Step 6 of the plans call for riveting the top skin to the 913 skin. I take that to mean the top skin lays over the 913 skin. This position also puts the flanges of the E-904 inside the flanges of the 1002 front spar. Seems to fit pretty well that way.

Thanks Tom.

I had to double check it too as I'm at the same point in the build. Page 9-14 Step 6 of the plans call for riveting the top skin to the 913 skin. I take that to mean the top skin lays over the 913 skin. This position also puts the flanges of the E-904 inside the flanges of the 1002 front spar. Seems to fit pretty well that way.

Thanks for checking. I am at work right now:D, so don't have access to my plans. I'll make sure when i get home tonight that I'm doing it right too.

Van's demonstrator, from DR's virtual tour:

DSCN6733.jpg

One of the most confusing parts

The 2 places so far that I have scratched my head on most is the elevator skin, and where the tail cone goes compared to the bottom skin. I thought I had riveted mine wrong, until I looked at some other peoples at Oschkosh. Still when I look at the plans I think I got it wrong, but if so it must not be too bad as there were 4 flying ones that had it the same way.

Back