What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CHT long taxi?

SEFlyer

Thinking of OSH coming up. Our CHT's seem to be right and just fine while airborne. Taxi time at our local airport is minimal so no issues with high CHT, but it seems like any kind of extended taxi could be an issue with minimal airflow. Just curious about other people's experience and opinions with RV and ground ops/extended ground ops. Thank you

The main thing is to aggressively lean on the ground so you don't foul your plugs on the taxi. I can't think of a scenario where CHTs would be an issue on the ground without some sort of engine problem causing that.

I too am curious about this. I had a 9 min taxi the other day after landing involving about 4 min sitting stationary while I waited for a medivac that didn't have his radio on. The CHTs climbed to the 370 range on the aft two but seemed to stabilize there, especially if I started moving again. However, it did start running quite rough. Fuel injected. OAT was 82 degrees. Oil temp climbed to 200 and didn't appear to be stable yet. I also always lean very aggressively.

Last edited:
I have sat in the line at OSH for 40 minutes with NO CHT issues. At idle levels, the engine simply is not being fed enough fuel to generate the heat required to produce objectionable CHT levels. Extended taxi is different than sitting endlessly at idle and will produce more heat.

You will be starting off at higher oil temp levels and may see them rise faster after T/O because of that. Some may even have OT issues while sitting and idling. However, the OT can go to 240 for a moderate period without issues. Modern oil doesn't start to seriously breakdown until 250 or so.

Larry

Last edited:
Back