What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AeroSport engines and sales tax

papamike

Well Known Member
Looking at my options for buying an engine. To those of you who bought from AeroSport in BC, how did that work with shipping and paying sales tax? I talked to them at OSH and they said they don't charge sales tax, but they didn't know what happens when the engine goes through customs.

Any advice?

Thanks

Simple

Looking at my options for buying an engine. To those of you who bought from AeroSport in BC, how did that work with shipping and paying sales tax? I talked to them at OSH and they said they don't charge sales tax, but they didn't know what happens when the engine goes through customs.

Any advice?

Thanks

I bought my IO-375 from Aerosport in 2010. If I recall, I put a deposit down using a credit card, and then paid the balance with a mailed check when they were ready to ship it. The price from them included all shipping, etc. Engine just showed up at the local truck terminal and I went down and picked it up. That's all there was to it.

You eventually get to pay use tax on all the stuff that went into the plane (at least in Alabama) but that is another story - it has nothing to do with buying the engine from BC. It would be the same if I had bought it from Barrett Precision or someone else.

Any advice?

Thanks

Sales tax (use tax in this case) is collected by the state you live in. Pay it now or later when you register the plane, I would guess states may differ.

Sales Tax

I purchased an engine from Aerosport Power many years ago. The state of WI sent me a bill. Apparently they monitor the international shipping, they knew exactly the cost of the engine and sent me a bill for the tax on that amount.

Back