What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

slider help

papamike

Well Known Member
Hi everybody,

For you slider types, I'm trying to fit my canopy frame. I think I may be able to get around most of the required dimensions, but I have a height mismatch of about 3/8" - 1/2" between the forward and aft ends of the square tube. The aft end is higher. I can't wrap my head around how I could make that go away. I've trimmed the front legs, but that decreases the 3/8" height difference between the canopy frame and the rollbar. Can the aft end get lifted somehow?

Any ideas?

I do not have the plans in front of me so I will try and describe how you may level the square tube.

The center slide where the canopy slides back on the fuselage is the adjustment(it bends downward at about a 45 degrees and uses an "all thread"for adjustment) to level the canopy. At least that is the way the remember. Other members may see it differently and rightfully so. But that is what I remember.

I hope I have helped
Dave

The slide guide that is on top of the fuse, I left un drilled until my canopy was attached and skirt on, then you can slide the guide fore, or aft to adjust the rear of the canopy, so if you slide it forward, the downward slope of the guide will raise the rear of the canopy. then you can fine tune it with the all thread bolt. Gorilla tape was my friend to hold parts while I was building this part.

Thanks

OK. I realized that the rear slide adjusted the aft height of the frame. Now I hope I don't have to make another one.

I marked it out to drill per the plans, but I had conflicts with some of the existing rivets where the screws would go. So I located the screw holes to go between rivets in the fuselage. Now I see that the slide may have to move enough that the existing holes will again conflict with rivets. I DID NOT drill the holes into the fuselage, it's just that I have screw holes in the slider track.

Another thing I wish I'd paid more attention to...

if a slide screw hole is going to be where an existing rivet is, can you just drill the hole and have the screw take the place of a rivet?

I'd do that if it lined up perfectly, otherwise i may fill the screw holes with rivets and redrill in between where screws will go. I guess I'm a ways out from that, though. I'll ignore screw location until the canopy is set.

Just drill holes in the slider bracket where they want to be. Extra holes won't hurt but you can double-flush rivet them if you want.

Just drill holes in the slider bracket where they want to be. Extra holes won't hurt but you can double-flush rivet them if you want.

^Yes. There are a couple extra holes in mine. Lightening holes....yeah, that's it. Probably saved 0.07 grams. :)

Back