What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you use

I put some black cloth on the glareshield, held down by double-sided tape. Wrapped a piece of black electrical tape over the edge of the cloth/glareshield then a piece of U-shaped rubber (kind of like what you use for the wing root fairings and about the same size, from McMaster-Carr) with a few dabs of RTV to hold it in place.

Greg

Painted it flat black before the canopy was attached and then installed an edge gripping trim that I got from McMastercarr.

Heater Hose

Hey folks,
What did you put on your edge of the glare shield on your RV's
Thanks,
Smilin, Jack

My -6 has a split piece of heater hose over the edge. I run the 496's antenna wire through the hose, also. Very inexpensive, and I think it looks great!

-jon

Started with slit 3/8 soft fuel tubing. Attached with clips like you use for the static line in the cabin. Covered with foam tube insulation from DIY store. Diane did a masterful job of sewing a suede cover. I made a "nut strip" with a strip of aluminum and some press in low profile panel nuts (had them in the bins y'know) that slid into a pocket in the cover. Screws from the bottom.

20250565254c80325143de4.jpg

This link goes to where I started with the tubing

..and why????

my glareshield was flat black, but I didn't want to muck it up with a lot of velcro tabs. seems we are mounting about a dozen things on there now!!!
..so like Greg, I used double-sided tape tabs to hold a chunk of BBQ mat cut to fit. fuzzy-side up makes a good 'stickum' for velcro hooks!
MUCH nicer reflection in the windscreen as well.
the edge had a piece of auto door edge trim, so I slit and added a piece of fuel hose, which also holds the mat in place. THen a piece of black foam pipe insulation. It would be good to upholster this nicely, but for 99cents I guess I'll just replace it from time to time.
I think this would be highly prefereable to smash your face into this, in an accident, than the stock edge / guillotine!
bonus; as noted, you can fish a lot of accessory cables under the foam edge and keep the dash tidy.

note; people seem to like to grab onto it for some reason?

Painted it flat black before the canopy was attached and then installed an edge gripping trim that I got from McMastercarr.

Same here, except I got the edge gripping trim from one of the auto parts retailers. (don't remember which one). I believe it may be window trim or something like that. At any rate, I am very happy with the results.

P.S. I used the same, or similar, trim for the wing root to fuselage trim and it has been fantastic.

I used edging from McMaster Carr and aircraft carpet from Airtex interiors. I had read somewhere that the glareshied area passes alot of noise into the cabin and by installing carpet there it helps to cushion the noise. I have never glued the edging in place. It stays in place and I can remove it and pull the carpet off the glare-shield to clean all the dead bugs that get caught where the glare shield meets the wind shield.
9b841bbc6e11c8362d40202b1ae43b08_zpsd39a3248.jpg

ddddd43118732ac06b1cbca1161128f2_zps4b092d32.jpg

glare shield edge

Abby from Flightline Interiors just brought some to the hanger @ EAA Chapter 1158 last night. It's a textured black color and has reverse metal gripping edges to keep it in place. Looks nice. Will try to post pic later. Seems there are many good options!

I used the trim from Cleveland tools, $16. Part number GSE60. I like the results.

Last edited:
t

I also slit some 3003 soft aluminum tubing and attached it to the edge with some RTV, I then slit some silicone tubing and put it over the aluminum tubing. I put leather on the entire surface and attached it with headliner spray adhesive and rolled it over the tubing to cover the edge. The more edge protection the better. Think about your head striking this edge in a sudden stop.

Classic aero edging and Flightline glare shield cover

J3YEu4N3B_uvwENJ6-a8AIaWDKmnLEuMtauRb7Kmyck

Daaaaang I love it. I am all about plush interiors. Seen the stitching on the new dodge long horn mega cabs ? Reminds me of that a little.

My glare shield has the elite carpet piece..haha Nothing wrong with it but it could be a lot prettier

Back