What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Simple Panel

JSOliveira

Here is the panel in my 9a. Mission is Day/Night VFR

http://s232.beta.photobucket.com/user/jsoliveira/media/Johns%20RV9a/709RV%20Panel/F2451479.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I tried to resist scope creep for a couple of reasons. I wanted to keep the cost down (it was under 10K) and I wanted to complete the project in a reasonable amount of time.

I used Vans wiring harness and switches. Vans Airspeed and Altitude as backup to the Dynon 180. The center stack is top to bottom: Garmin 495, Icom A210, Garmin 327 Transponder, and flightcom intercom. To the right of the intercom is a pot to adjust the volume of the audio input from the D180. Flap and trim are on the panel to the left of the intercom. They are easy to reach just above the throttle.

Engraving is courtesy of a Brothers label maker with White on Clear tape. I have a map box on the right side. LED map lights are on the side column, left and right.

A fellow builder here took a look at it and said, wow, you still have room to add another 20K worth of avionics on the right side.

Everything is right in front of the pilot and very accessible. I have about 70 hours on it now and so far, I would not change anything.

I did add an oil cooler shutter with the cable next to the mixture control. Engine is IO320 with Sensenich prop.

Great!

Looks great! Simple, elegant, and very tasteful. The 495 is a great unit, easier to use than some of the "newer" handhelds. I like the panel dock.

A "modern simple" panel! Nicely done.

I'm working on now :cool: but perhaps not as successfully

Last edited:
John, can I ask why you added an intercom when the iCom has one built in? Not a criticism, just curious, as you have simplified the rest of your panel very effectively. Nice!

John, can I ask why you added an intercom when the iCom has one built in? Not a criticism, just curious, as you have simplified the rest of your panel very effectively. Nice!

I wanted the pilot isolate feature. Also, I am glad I did because, while the Icom has intercom function, adjustments are handled by going through the setup steps. That is not something you want to do when things might be confusing in the cockpit.

Hey, that's my panel, John! :cool: More or less anyway. Same mission, same idea as you.

1116qe0.jpg

Unfortunately, I cut one too many round holes back in the day when Dynon didn't yet have an autopilot and I was planning for a Trio. As soon as I cut that hole, Dynon announced theirs.

And I agree with you that you don't want to rely on the built in intercom in the A210.

I wanted the pilot isolate feature. Also, I am glad I did because, while the Icom has intercom function, adjustments are handled by going through the setup steps. That is not something you want to do when things might be confusing in the cockpit.

I just remembered. I also needed the intercom as a place for the audio signal from the D180 to land. You could also input music or anything else. I did include two warning lights on the panel. A red one for alternator, and a green one above the 180 for D180 alarms. It goes off at the same time you get an audio warning.

A second post.

I am still trying to learn how to post pics.

IMG_1648-M.jpg

Dynon Skyview (with AP, Transponder,GPS & EMS) and PAR100EX ( Audio & com).

External 696 for backup.

Hey, that's my panel, John! :cool: More or less anyway. Same mission, same idea as you.

1116qe0.jpg

Unfortunately, I cut one too many round holes back in the day when Dynon didn't yet have an autopilot and I was planning for a Trio. As soon as I cut that hole, Dynon announced theirs.

You guys are really doing a nice job in keeping things simple and highly functional. That hole will come in handy when you have to work under the panel. You can stick one hand through there at a much better angle than both hands under the panel.

Nice panels guys. Really the only thing to add is an A/P. The cheapest
Tru-trak would be perfect. I flew my -6 for the first 4 years without it.
It was by far the best after build addition I made. Reading charts over
Wyoming in the summer time became doable!

I just remembered. I also needed the intercom as a place for the audio signal from the D180 to land. You could also input music or anything else. I did include two warning lights on the panel.
The iCom has audio inputs. I understand wanting the pilot isolate feature... Could probably achieve that with a toggle switch on the panel to disconnect the copilot mic and/or headphone though.

My -6 had an intercom in it when I bought it, and I didn't bother re-wiring everything when I replaced the Val radio with the 210. It's interesting to see how others came up with their configurations.

I just remembered. I also needed the intercom as a place for the audio signal from the D180 to land. You could also input music or anything else. I did include two warning lights on the panel. A red one for alternator, and a green one above the 180 for D180 alarms. It goes off at the same time you get an audio warning.

John,

Connect the audio out from the Dynon through the iCom radio. It has a few mono inputs for just such things.

Your panel is very similar to my first panel. Like you I put in a stereo intercom but mostly so I could play music while I was flying. I put the stereo plug way over on the right side, close to my dual power ports, so my passenger can play with something.

Saving 20K

Here is the panel in my 9a. Mission is Day/Night VFR

http://s232.beta.photobucket.com/user/jsoliveira/media/Johns%20RV9a/709RV%20Panel/F2451479.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I tried to resist scope creep for a couple of reasons. I wanted to keep the cost down (it was under 10K) and I wanted to complete the project in a reasonable amount of time.

I used Vans wiring harness and switches. Vans Airspeed and Altitude as backup to the Dynon 180. The center stack is top to bottom: Garmin 495, Icom A210, Garmin 327 Transponder, and flightcom intercom. To the right of the intercom is a pot to adjust the volume of the audio input from the D180. Flap and trim are on the panel to the left of the intercom. They are easy to reach just above the throttle.

Engraving is courtesy of a Brothers label maker with White on Clear tape. I have a map box on the right side. LED map lights are on the side column, left and right.

A fellow builder here took a look at it and said, wow, you still have room to add another 20K worth of avionics on the right side.

Everything is right in front of the pilot and very accessible. I have about 70 hours on it now and so far, I would not change anything.

I did add an oil cooler shutter with the cable next to the mixture control. Engine is IO320 with Sensenich prop.

Good job for Day Night VFR. Yes, you could say you saved 20K and still have every thing you need.

A second post.

I am still trying to learn how to post pics.

IMG_1648-M.jpg

Dynon Skyview (with AP, Transponder,GPS & EMS) and PAR100EX ( Audio & com).

External 696 for backup.

All very nice panels. This one in particular reminds me of the one on the new RV14.

Back