What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Rivets...Why Flush?

Rob Erdos

Well Known Member
i'm building an RV-6, and currently hanging components on the firewall. The gascolator will go on the lower-right-forward side of the firewall. In lieu of the VA-161 gascolator bracket specified for the -7, I fabricated a bracket to serve as a doubler for the gascolator on the back of the firewall.

The bracket is match drilled (Aack...I hate drilling stainlesss!), and the rivets are in place on the firewall stiffeners on the back side. Then, I noticed...

All of the rivets specified for the firewall a flush. I didn't dimple the firewall to allow flush rivets on the doubler, so I'm kind of stuck. To wit, my question:

Why are the firewall rivets flush? Does it matter if I install this gascolator doubler using universal rivets?

Rob

No Problem

Don't know if you are using the same type of bracket but I mounted my gascolator bracket on the firewall using AN470 rivets in the bracket. I did use Van's firewall stiffener (modified slightly) to allow better backing.

Flush rivets should only be necessary in areas where you may be mounting something else.

25pgsr9.jpg

Last edited:
Does it matter if I install this gascolator doubler using universal rivets?

Rob

It doesn't matter in my opinion Rob. Make sure universal rivet heads are not on the way when mounting the filter. It's also easier to clean when flush. :)

Firewall rivets are typically flush so they won't interfere with all the stuff that has to be mounted on it.

Back