What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sikaflex

msmst25

Well Known Member
I'm about to install my rear windows, decided on Sikaflex. I've watched the Zach Chase videos a couple of times. I have searched the forums for the answer to these questions, but couldn't really find it.
Do you still put an opaque layer on the interior surface and let it cure some before attaching it permanently?
How long to let the opaque layer cure before installing?
If you do put on an opaque layer, do you coat with Aktivator prior to installation?
Can you make standoffs with the Sikaflex just like you can with the Silpruf? Do you attach them with wet sikaflex, or something else?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, but I couldn't find it. I appreciate your help.

I’ve just gone through this process with Sika.

1) I didn’t do a layer around the perimeter like they did with the silpruf. I painted a layer on with the primer. It looks sharp.

2) Yes, you can make standoffs from dry sika. That’s exactly what I did.

3) I glued the sika standoffs in with black rtv and let them dry overnight.

So far it seems to be working great.

Basically my steps were, put the aktivator on both the window flange, and the plexi part of the window that will mate to the flange. After a minute or two, paint a coat of primer on both the plexi and the flange. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, then glue your window in with sika. Once the window is glued in, leave it clecoed for about a week to cure. After a week, pull the clecos and do your outside fillet to fill the gap around the edges of the plexi.

Last edited:
I used small, 1/16" washers surrounding each cleco hole and used CA adhesive to hold them on to the flange as spacers. I used primer on the flange.

Be advised that you cannot paint over the sika joint or the paint will crack if the temp extremes are great enough.

Larry

Last edited:
Spacers

I used small spacer and glued them in place. They became part of the process!! Also, now that I've used Sil-Pruf in a couple of projects I recommend it over Sika. Much easier to get, easier to work with and makes beautiful filets.

Back