What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Faa $500 ADS-B rebate program.

clippermike1

I'm New Here
On Feb 5, 2019, at 3:17 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Due to the NavWorx issue, we can help you clear up your reservation issue if you are going to install a new certified ADS-B unit.

The problem is Echo UAT is not a certified equipment and does not qualify for the rebate. Please visit our website for full program rules.

Certified ADS_B only

Yep, I contacted the local FSDO and they told me that only certified TSOd ADS_B are part of $500 rebate. I installed ECHO as it was more for less than a certified version, even with the FAA rebate.
If you check out the Uavionix site they explain which of their products (all OUT, none have IN as ECHO does) are certified.
I've been very happy with the ECHO installed, had to hard wire it to make it 100% reliable, the wifi to transponder mode never worked with my GTX327.

These are what I have found to be the cheapest and easiest to install options currently available:

OPTION 1 : uAvionix ECHO $1350 (Aircraft Spruce)

- Adds a GPS antenna on top of aircraft
- Adds a 4" antenna (included) to the aircraft belly
- includes ADS-B IN via wifi to many apps
- no additional boxes or antennas in the cockpit
- wiring harness (included)
- works with C and also S transponders (like the Trig I have in gyro but this is for the RV-8)

Then we have

OPTION 2 : Garmin GDL-82 $1661 (Aircraft Spruce)- $500 rebate = $1161

- Adds a GPS antenna on top of aircraft
- Doesn't add the extra 4" antenna to the aircraft belly
- Must purchase a ADS-B IN so now you have extra antennas inside of the cabin plus more wiring.
- you must build the wiring harness (includes connectors)
- only works with C transponders
- Doesn't have ADS-IN so you must add an ADS-B IN solution :

Garmin GDL-39 $486 (only for Garmin Pilot)
OR
Stratux ADS-B IN $130 (many Apps)

So the Garmin currently ends up costing around $1291 with a Stratux (you build it) to use with most apps making it cheaper price-wise than the Echo !!

So are you saying the difference is $59.00 but you have two different mfg to deal with, you have to build the Stratx and only Mode C transponders are supported?

:confused:

Last edited:
So are you saying the difference is $59.00 but you have two different mfg to deal with, you have to build the Stratx and only Mode C transponders are supported?

:confused:

No chico !

If you go with the Garmin OUT you can use a Garmin also for IN but that costs almost $500 versus the Stratux which costs around $130.

The Echo does give you both OUt and IN so you have everything in one box. I'm considering going with the Echo even if it costs a little more because I don't have to deal with the FAA giving me a check. I just didn't want to have to install another transponder antenna on the RV-8

I just had a great idea, I might just buy everything and go visit you for the install !!!

Did you already have a WAAS antenna in the airplane? I don't, so I have to do something that includes WAAS, and my other issue is I need 1090 since I plan to do some flying into Mexico.. So my options are further limited.. :(

Approved WAAS GPS?

These are what I have found to be the cheapest and easiest to install options currently available:

OPTION 1 : uAvionix ECHO $1350 (Aircraft Spruce)

Still have to add an approved WAAS GPS, right? Now that option is $1,850.

Finn

Still have to add an approved WAAS GPS, right? Now that option is $1,850.

Finn

No I wrote it correctly. You can buy the Echo without a GPS if you have for example a Garmin 430W and it's only around $850 but with the WAAS enabled GPS it's $1350 total.

Oh and I forgot that when you get the $500 rebate you also get a 1099 for you to include in your taxes. Did you think the government was just going to give you $500? LMAO !!

Back