What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

List of infrequently inspected/overhauled/replaced items?

RV10Rob

Well Known Member
Hi, all... now that my RV-10 is nearing 8 years and 500 hours, I'm wondering whether I'm missing any of the preventative maintenance items that are done infrequently, such as the 500-hour mag inspection and (10-year?) flexible fuel/oil hose replacements. Does anyone have a good list of these items? Similar question asked a few years ago here, but didn't see a comprehensive list. Thanks!

-Rob

Ten Year

Precision Airmotive recommends overhaul of their FI servo 10 years (or 2600 hours whichever comes first) after first put in to service. You could consider having their FI Servo and flow divider overhauled in a couple of years.

Plane Power alternators require a 500 hour brush inspection.
Wobble Test required on exhaust valves in Lycoming engines at 1000 hours (if you have high chrome exhaust valve guides which newer engines now do).
5 yr ELT mandatory battery replacement and 10 yr (depending on battery chemistry) ELT remote control panel indicator battery replacement.

Those are a few that come to mind.

Engine driven fuel pump?

How often should engine driven fuel pumps be rebuilt or replaced? And, what about carbs?

How often should engine driven fuel pumps be rebuilt or replaced? And, what about carbs?

From Tempest -

A: Diaphragm fuel pumps should be replaced or overhauled:
1. At engine TBO or after ten years in service, whichever occurs first. Replace on condition if leaks develop or performance drops for example.

I assume it's similar for a carb. but I can't find any actual data...:confused:

The bolts that hold the engine mount and gear legs should be checked for proper torque.

Also, the Lycoming manual says to check the bolts that hold the carb/fuel servo. (I check all the engine accessory bolts. Maybe this is why my condition inspections take so long?)

From Tempest -

A: Diaphragm fuel pumps should be replaced or overhauled:
1. At engine TBO or after ten years in service, whichever occurs first. Replace on condition if leaks develop or performance drops for example.

I assume it's similar for a carb. but I can't find any actual data...:confused:

See Dan's pictures on post #5 of this thread. I think 10 years is too long for these diaphragm pumps. I recently changed mine with almost identical time/age as Dan's. Pressures were erratic, but fixed with new pump. Old pump was not leaking. I will be looking to replace in around 6 years next time. I did not take mine apart, but simply sent it back for the core charge.

Back