What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Mini-X

Slats

Does anyone have one of these installed with first hand experience or: a pdf of the user manual or: purchased one with the manual for reference.

I really like many of the functions but have some questions.

Thanks

Jim

Go to the thread noted above and post #130, Canadian JOY is the first person who has written about his impression on the Mini-X. Unfortunatly he has not flown behind it yet.

A few quick comments on the Mini ...

CJ, got yours yet?

Are there any first hand user reports for Mini-X?

We put one of the first ones in Widget's panel and another in "RB"'s panel for initial testing.
(No room left in mine. :-( )

I will defer to Widget or RB as they have more direct flight experience with them now, but ...

1. Installation is straight forward. Minimally, +12, GND, PITOT, STATIC.
The **BIG** deal to me though is that it required #4 screws!! Hex head #4's are available from Ace Hardware if you find yourself on a weekend trying to "git 'er done. Also you will need #4 nut plates. Actually by now, GRT is probably shipping that hardware with the units.

2. On Friday, when Widget left my place (more tweaks and upgrades), I got an airborne report that the airspeed on it was within a knot or so of what was on the HXr. That is about the same as what I see on three different SX's I have installed.

3. The unit is well-lit. The color is nice. The resolution is nice. Easy to see and read from the back seat of an RV8 (where I have watched from on a couple of two hour trips).

4. The mapping of two knobs worth of functions onto one knob seems to be fairly well done, though you will have to think about it some times if you are used to dual knobs from any of the prior units.

5. I like the SLEW function **FAR BETTER** than what is in the current units. I hope the update the SX's and HX's to use that approach to SLEW.

6. I *think* that I like the "RANGE" implementation more as well. Just turn the knob! :)

7. In Synthetic Vision, there is a slightly different "viewport" or "viewing angle" as compared to the HXr for example. Therefore, as you go higher, (say up around 9000 feet), you see different % ground vs sky. Will be recommending and adjustment on this. Works fine, just different and can be adjusted by GRT to be BETTER.

8. I am going to recommend a bit more dampening be done on the VSI and pitch reference. I actually think that the pitch sensitivity of the new modules **may** be more responsive than any of their other stuff and may need some more smoothing.

I actually like the units a LOT MORE than I thought that I would. Really.
So much so, that if I had the appropriate panel space, I would change over to one HXr and two Mini's.

James
p.s. GRT is a proud partner of Team AeroDynamix with which I am affiliated ... BUT!!! That has not tainted my view. Just gave me earlier access. I would add a Mini for backup even if I had a 10" Dynon SkyView or a Garmin 10" G3X Touch.

Feel free to email me offline if you have additional questions.

Continuing with what James said above..

I've been flying the Mini for a couple weeks now. It was a replacement for my Dynon D10A.

Screen brightness is much better. It's larger and easier to read which is good because it's also a moving map as well as a PFD.

If you're familiar with other GRT EFIS's, the menu structure will be easy for you to get comfortable with.

You can display either synthetic vision, terrain, or as a regular ADI. When I'm at lower altitudes I like the synthetic vision. Up higher, I prefer the ADI indication because as James said above, the view gives you a lot of sky and not much ground. Maybe just a preference, but I like seeing more ground just for reference.

The MAP mode is great. It uses the GRT data map and can display roads, lakes, rivers, etc and is easily tailored at different ranges. The SLEW function is easier to figure out where you're moving to. It has an arrow onscreen and FWD or BACK to move in the direction or opposite direction of the arrow. It will also display all the airport DETAILS like the other EFIS's do.

I have the internal GPS as well as my GTN650 feeding it. It"s great for playing what if with the FLP PLAN's without having to worry about messing up your NAV on the autopilot. FLT PLAN's are just like other GRT's as well as the Direct and Near functions.

I don't have the compass module yet but once it's moving it displays track and has an internal magnetometer.

I did have to do a little adjusting on the altimeter and it and the airspeed match the HXr very closely. Airspeed within 1 to 1/5 knots and now the altimeters spot on up to 13000 feet.

I'm extremely pleased with the readablilty, the build quality, and performance of the unit. It's a perfect match for the HXr or HX as a backup system, AND I think it will be a great stand alone unit as well. Installation was easy. I already had the Mini cutout and nutplates in from my last upgrade, but the connections were, Pitot, Static, PWR, GND, GPS antenna and a serial wire from the 650. Another serial port will enable it to talk to the HXr. When the compass module is installed, 4 or 5 wires to it like all the other magnetometers. Straight forward.

Below is a photo of the Mini at work. It's in the synthetic vision mode of the PFD. I'll try to get some map shots soon.

13964374155_edb3fac762_b.jpg

GRT is a sponsor of Team AeroDynamix.

Last edited:
Wow!

It looks great!

I am a straight steam man at this point. It will be my attitude indicator backed with gauges.

I am dying to know what someone thinks of the g-meter.

A Few Screenshots...

Here are some screenshots I captured from a demo recording Widget made with the Mini-X on his way home from Sun 'n Fun.

Cruising with the Flight Director. GPS CDI is on the bottom of the screen.

SNAP0008.PNG

Here's a Synthetic Vision shot showing an obstacle 500-1000 feet below the airplane's altitude.

SNAP0036.PNG

Synthetic Vision terrain alerting at low altitude. Note autopilot annunciators showing active and pending lateral (above airspeed tape) and vertical (above altitude tape) modes. The Mini-X can't track a vertical nav source on its own (that's a Mini-AP feature), but it shows the vertical modes in use by Widget's HXr.

SNAP0019.PNG

Remote transponder control menu. To get here, press any key to activate the softkey labels, then press XPDR. Or, if you have it set up for Single Click, just press the third button from the left.

SNAP0040.PNG

To enter a new code, press CODE and turn/press the knob to enter, or press "1200" softkey to Squawk VFR.

SNAP0041.PNG

Here's the Moving Map page, showing airspace highlighted with the Map Selection Tool. Note the waypoint info box in the lower right corner.

SNAP0042.PNG

And here's the HSI page. The waypoint is the nearest airport, which happens to be behind Widget's location.

SNAP0045.PNG

Just throwing this out there-- Last day for intro pricing is next week Wednesday!

Last edited:
Bad Timing!

I wish this device would have been available just BEFORE I had to replace my vacuum pump and then my Attitude Indicator! Cost would have been about the same...

An error in these displays that is fixed ...

Here are some screenshots I captured from a demo recording Widget made with the Mini-X on his way home from Sun 'n Fun.

Cruising with the Flight Director. GPS CDI is on the bottom of the screen.

SNAP0008.PNG

Here's a Synthetic Vision shot showing an obstacle 500-1000 feet below the airplane's altitude.

SNAP0036.PNG

Synthetic Vision terrain alerting at low altitude. Note autopilot annunciators showing active and pending lateral (above airspeed tape) and vertical (above altitude tape) modes. The Mini-X can't track a vertical nav source on its own (that's a Mini-AP feature), but it shows the vertical modes in use by Widget's HXr.

SNAP0019.PNG

Remote transponder control menu. To get here, press any key to activate the softkey labels, then press XPDR. Or, if you have it set up for Single Click, just press the third button from the left.

SNAP0040.PNG

To enter a new code, press CODE and turn/press the knob to enter, or press "1200" softkey to Squawk VFR.

SNAP0041.PNG

Here's the Moving Map page, showing airspace highlighted with the Map Selection Tool. Note the waypoint info box in the lower right corner.

SNAP0042.PNG

And here's the HSI page. The waypoint is the nearest airport, which happens to be behind Widget's location.

SNAP0045.PNG

Just throwing this out there-- Last day for intro pricing is next week Wednesday!

Note that the airspeed looks low in these photos. It is in fact incorrectly low. We knew that was the case and had hardware that I was supposed to change but did not have the time to do until later.

The offending module was replaced and airspeed is on target as mentioned in earlier threads.

<<<NOTE: The **corrected** production hardware is what has shipped in all subsequent units, so no need to worry. There were only two units with the offending part and I had hardware to update BOTH!! Just wanted to disclose that.>>>

James

G-meter

It looks great!

I am a straight steam man at this point. It will be my attitude indicator backed with gauges.

I am dying to know what someone thinks of the g-meter.

You can see the G-meter here, next to the lower part of the airspeed indicator. You can set it to appear all the time or only when you cross a certain G-loading threshold. It will also turn colors if you cross your limit. G loading is always recorded as part of the data stream if you have data logging turned on, even if the meter itself is not displayed. More info can be found on our Feature of the Week page: http://grtavionics.com/gmeter.html

SNAP0052.PNG

Katie,
Sorry if I have missed it shown somewhere but I would like to see what the back-up battery looks like for the Mini-B.

Katie,
First two hours on the Mini B enroute to San Diego this morning. I am very impressed. Solid construction and well thought out software. Installed it in a couple of hours. Did a quick pitch offset to minus 8 inflight and it is spot on now.
Calibrated the altimeter easily. All of above without any need to read a manual.
GRT has created a winner with this device. Good on ya as they say down under.

Katie,
First two hours on the Mini B enroute to San Diego this morning. I am very impressed. Solid construction and well thought out software. Installed it in a couple of hours. Did a quick pitch offset to minus 8 inflight and it is spot on now.
Calibrated the altimeter easily. All of above without any need to read a manual.
GRT has created a winner with this device. Good on ya as they say down under.

Well, thank you! Does that mean I can quit working on the manual now? :p

Magnetometer mounting

Katie, can the magnetometer be mounted in a non-aluminum airframe? More specific - a tube and fabric airplane?

Thanks in advance,

Katie,
Sorry if I have missed it shown somewhere but I would like to see what the back-up battery looks like for the Mini-B.

Todd is still finalizing the hardware for it. I'll get an update from him as soon as I see him...

Katie, can the magnetometer be mounted in a non-aluminum airframe? More specific - a tube and fabric airplane?

Thanks in advance,

Terry - magnetometers are sensitive to ferrous metals in proximity. While I won't attempt to provide an official GRT response, in general, magnetometers are quite quite happy in rag-and-tube airplanes, as long as the tube structure has not picked up residual magnetism during the fabrication process. Placing the magnetometer as far away as possible from ferrous metal, and particularly moving ferrous metal like control cables and whatnot, as well as current-carrying electrical wires, will allow it to work pretty well. Most EFIS-like devices have a software-based calibration routine which allows the raw magnetometer readings to be adjusted to compensate for the presence of fixed magnetic interference like a tube airframe.

With respect to tube airframes becoming magnetized, this is sometimes a result of the welding processes used. Degaussing the tube structure will kill off the residual magnetism. As an example, some of the Glastar cages produced by Stoddard-Hamilton had residual magnetism and some builders found out the hard way they had to degauss the cage.

magnetometers

With no background or knowledge I report that when my Dynon and AFS ADHARS were laid directly on the rudder cables, there was no change in indication while moving away from the cables, or close with the cables moving through their full excursion. I have no idea why they were not affected.

SNAP0042.PNG

Can the moving map display actual sectionals and TACs? If not are there some more pics showing what airspace and such looks like on your moving maps?

Back