What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Size of truck needed to move RV-10 Wings

[email protected]

Well Known Member
I am starting to make plans to move my 10 to the airport :)

Planning on having a tow company move the fuselage on a flatbed tow truck and on moving the wings/ tail surfaces with a moving truck.

My question is what size truck did you use.
I think a 17' truck should be big enough to move the wings, HS, VS, wheelpants, and all the other misc pieces, along with a 3' tool chest.

I only have a small car, so want to get as much stuff as I can moved with the plane.

Also anyone in Atlanta want to give me a hand? Right now I am thinking I will be moving it on March 15th. 3 WEEKS!!! Getting close to first flight, and getting excited. All major tasks complete, just working through the almost endless punchlist of small things that need finished up.

When I did it, the bigger trucks didn't cost much more than the smaller ones. if that's the case for you, just get the biggest one you can. You want all the extra space you can get, so you're not tempted to put things where they might damage the airframe.

IMG_3249-400x300.jpg

IMG_3263-400x300.jpg

http://kochman.net/N819K/?p=776

BTW, since you mentioned moving the fuselage, here's my experience:

IMG_3229-400x300.jpg

http://kochman.net/N819K/?p=736

-Rob

Last edited:
I agree with Rob, usually the larger trucks may not cost more.

I used a truck from Penske to move to the airport. All my tools were hauled in the enclosed trailer I borrowed to move my wings to the paint shop. I didn't want to take any chances with something failing and dinging any parts. When I took the wings to the painter, I used two different trailers.

When I helped Geoff Combs move his wings, they were simply in the wing racks in the back of his pickup.

From the house to the hangar:

FP16112010A000V1.jpg

FP16112010A000V2.jpg

To the paint shop (enclosed trailer for the wings):

FP27112012A0002T.jpg

From the paint shop:

FP05012013A00023.jpg

FP24112012A0000T.jpg

Last edited:
Tilt bed

If weather isn't an issue and/or the distance isn't great, look into a tilt-bed truck from the local wrecker. It worked great for me and was pretty cheap ($60). Wings went in the back of my pickup on a good moving blanket.
RV102024.jpg

RV102027.jpg

If weather isn't an issue and/or the distance isn't great, look into a tilt-bed truck from the local wrecker. It worked great for me and was pretty cheap ($60).

Things are apparently less expensive in Montana than here in central Ohio.

Most of the tow truck companies around here wanted $200/hr starting from leaving their lot and going until they return to their lot. So I was looking at paying $200 before they actually did any work. Of course several just said no, when I mentioned that the load was an aircraft.

I inquired at a local tool rental shop near the airport looking for a trailer. When the owner found out I needed something with an 8' width, he stated "I don't have any trailers that wide, but I do have a flat bed truck". They don't rent the truck and only use it to deliver their equipment. He offered it for $150 flat rate (no mileage) with the following caveats. We had to use it after hours and we had to drive it. The first trip took awhile to figure out how to rig everything, but it's been used to haul RV-10s at least for four more trips that I'm aware of at the moment.

Another option

We decided to build a skid since we need to move to paint and then to hanger later on. For aprox $300 we built this and will pass on to local builders. Very safe and secure and if you have tilt trailer to borrow it will cost very little....As equipment guys, it makes us very nervous rolling equipment up and down ramps:) please be extra cautious and safe! Wings were on second load on their rack with emp parts wrapped in moving blankets.
5d6ed41f-f785-4d3c-9255-064cc84009dc_zps10be369b.jpg

5da06179-4c97-4622-8f45-0b37429c1767_zpsb16610e4.jpg

Local industrial rental place had a tilt bed truck (only one of two was wide enough). I just made two trips - 1 with the fuselage, second with the engine and prop (still in original shipping crates) and the wings (I just rolled the wing cradle onto the tilt bed, and used lots of rope for tie downs.

As I recall it was about $140 including a pallet jack (for the engine).

Even for a local move, it is cheaper sometimes to book it as a one-way if you plan on using the truck for a few days. Just depends on how many days and miles you plan. The one-way typically gives free miles. The trick to a one-way local move is to pick it up at one location and drop off at another close by. It just takes a little playing around on the website to compare the two.

Absolutely correct. I've done this and it saved quite a bit. If you stop by the local business that rents trucks (Penske, Uhaul, etc) as opposed to calling or booking online, you might be able to get the one way with the same return and drop-off location! Apparently, it's easy for the guy behind the counter to do but they can't if you booked it online.

Back