What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior Engine.

Adam

Well Known Member
How do you remove the Plunger from the cylinder, I have the push rod out but need to pull out the plunger.

A piece of safety wire bent with a hook. I'm pretty sure it is in the Lycoming overhaul manual.

Small magnets also

like on a pickup stick work. Make sure the whole assembly comes out, Sometimes I have had only half of it come out. You bleed it by inserting a small blunt wire or screwdriver in the tiny hole on the bottom of the assembly; this pushes a tiny spring valve. If you have an experienced engine guy nearby it is a big help. I think what you called a plunger is the hydraulic lifter. Sorry I don't have a picture.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure a magnet is specifically advised against in the manual. You can magnetize the little ball that acts as a check valve and the plunger will fail.

You can use safety wire or put some thick grease on the tip of a pushrod and it will pull the plunger out.

Roller Lifter?

If you have a Superior engine more than a couple of years old with the roller lifters they may not come out. The original design requires the engine case to be split to get to the lifters. The lifter can be disassembled and the guts pulled out through pushrod hole but you cannot get the lifter body out.

Andy

Last edited:
OWT - not true

I'm pretty sure a magnet is specifically advised against in the manual. You can magnetize the little ball that acts as a check valve and the plunger will fail.

Glad this was brought up, the magnet is too far from the ball to be a problem, btw I got this info from Superior tech support. But please use Sid's method for safety.

Back