What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT governor - max RPM declining

RV10Rob

Well Known Member
I have the standard MT governor on my RV-10 (IO-540-D4A5). I had the max RPM set to 2700 RPM initially, but over time it has been declining slowly, to the point that it's about 2640 on climbout now, at 2+ years and 200+ hours. Is that to be expected (i.e. I should just adjust the stop screw) or is this indicative of a problem requiring further investigation? The governor appears normal and in all other respects operates normally. Thanks...

-Rob

I contacted MT back when I had this issue originally, and they said it was fine to adjust the stop screw. I did and was back at 2700 for a while, but it's started declining again, to the point that it's at about 2660 on takeoff. I already have the screw backed way out, so I'm hesitant to adjust it further--seems like this is not normal. Anyone have any ideas or seen this before?

-Rob

End float

Rob

Make sure that the pitch cable is adjusted so that you hit the stops on the end and have about 1/8 left before the knob hits the stop.

Cheers

Peter

Tach type

What type of tach? Mechanical tachs have a permanent magnet that weakens over time, causing low indications. Verify your gauge with an electronic prop tach that can be checked against a florescent light. (no kidding!)

I have a B model MT governor (one of the early models) that is also exhibiting those symptoms. I have lost RPMs and the governor is set to it's maximum extension. In addition RPMs are fluctuating 10-20 RPMs. Governor has been in use for 3 years with ~ 230 hours. I discussed the situation with MT and just pulled the governor this weekend and sent it to them to rebuild.

I'm loosing a few RPM

200 hrs on my MT prop gov and I'm loosing a few RPM too. next gov will be a Hartzell.

Thanks, all. Sounds like I'm not alone. I have verified the cable is hitting the stop on the governor and not the end of the cable itself, and I'm using the optical tach sensor on the mag, so accuracy shouldn't be an issue. I will follow up with MT.

I have a B model MT governor (one of the early models) that is also exhibiting those symptoms. I have lost RPMs and the governor is set to it's maximum extension. In addition RPMs are fluctuating 10-20 RPMs. Governor has been in use for 3 years with ~ 230 hours. I discussed the situation with MT and just pulled the governor this weekend and sent it to them to rebuild.

Mike, what are they charging you for the rebuild, and did they quote you a turnaround time? Thanks..

Back