What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Support on the "Home Front"

Rob Erdos

Well Known Member
Folks,

I'm basically just bragging here, but I needed to give a shout-out for my wife, Debbie. Our RV-6 did its first flight last week, and I have a lot of people to thank, but I know who's on the top of the list...

IMG_0890_zps400bfad2.jpg

There she is, installing the wing root fairings. Need I mention that it was her birthday?! When I bought the project, and was trucking it home, Debbie drywalled and wired our garage workshop. The next year she came to Oshkosh to take the sheet metal construction course, and worked alongside me every step thereafter. When I considered buying a new engine, or splurging for a constant speed prop, she said, "that's what money is for"! When "someone" needs to crawl under the instrument panel to work in tight spaces...

IMG_0886_zpsc6837aee.jpg

The data plate lists the aircraft manufacturer. Her name is engraved on it beside my own. We wouldn't have an airplane without her support and encouragement.

Hey, guys, anyone else care to share their stories about support on the "home front"?

Rob Erdos
RV-6 C-FSPB
Ottawa, Canada
VAF Supporter 2014

rare

She's a rare one. When trying to sell a airplane I added to the ad "make sure it's OK with wife before inquiring". Wives have killed a number of sales.

VLAD, well.... don't check the local bars. If looking for a mate... see who is enrolled to become an A&P in the local community college programs.
As a last resort, I hear Russian brides are still in the back of Popular Mechanics in the classifieds... :-}

Where do you guys find these fine ladies? On the Internet? :D

That's where I found mine!!! :eek:

She likes to fly with me, likes formation, likes to fly to camp, likes my flying friends, and likes to help with the plane. She is retiring next year and wants to make the annual camping trip to ID, MT, and WY.

I recently replaced the comm antenna on the -4 and she was all excited to get on the creeper and work the bottom of the plane while I was inside.

I think she is a KEEPER!!! :)

nice goin - on both the wife and the plane.

I was admiring, among other things, your panel bracket for the engine control knobs. I have something similar but its bigger and I think I would prefer something like yours. Do you have a source you could share or did you fabricate that yourself?
thanks

Wife

I'll rave on my Sweetie. She supports every decision and I hers. Our 30 years has been amazing and now we're building our 7a. Yes, she says "our" and is interested in every box that gets delivered. She always jumps in when I need a second set of hands.

Another internet couple here, Match dot com.

I put up a "Co-pilot wanted" listing------------she found me.

Just celebrated 10 year anniversary at OSH:D

Where do you guys find these fine ladies? On the Internet? :D

Vlad, There down here on the ground buddy. You have to spend more time on the ground.:D

I've met Debbie a few times and aside from being a great airplane building partner with Rob, she's a real nice lady to. Congratulations!

Rooftoprestaurant_zps03a767f4.jpg
My wife Jenny, saw an RV-10 that I was showing a picture of, to a friend, said, "Pierre, we need one of those," so we can fly with my boys and friends...:eek: surprised.

We've had it for nearly six years now.

Life is good..

Best, ps...found mine in church

Last edited:
Support at home

Rob, congrats on the first flight! Nice panel!

Also, support at home is critical. My wife married me, after I had started building, so she already knew about it...

She has helped me quite a bit, and he kids even help some. Too cool...

At least half of all the wing skin deburring and dimpling has been done by her. Yep, I gave her a hammer and everything....:D
2n090qt.jpg

2m6lso0.jpg

Happy, Happy, Happy....

Gregg

That's where I found mine!!! :eek:

She likes to fly with me, likes formation, likes to fly to camp, likes my flying friends, and likes to help with the plane. She is retiring next year and wants to make the annual camping trip to ID, MT, and WY.

I recently replaced the comm antenna on the -4 and she was all excited to get on the creeper and work the bottom of the plane while I was inside.

I think she is a KEEPER!!! :)

A keeper on a creeper??? I just kill myself sometimes :D

+1 on finding a great one on the internet. Our 10th anniversary is next month, and we're looking forward to many more. She loves flying, and is always willing to help out with the project, even the boring stuff like inventory.:)

Back