What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TDI RV10 with a Gale Banks 630T

Darin Watson

Well Known Member
Friend
Up front full disclosure...I am an RV7 owner, and love that plane, not even sure I would need a 10...but also think TDI is going to be a great option at some point. I like the Gemini developments, albeit at a glacial pace, but also have to respect the need to succeed with a brand like Superior. Also, I have no affiliation with Banks.

All that now aside. With Banks reputation and their racing and military development history, it seems like the 630T development c/w multifuel capability would be a fantastic potential for a RV10. See http://shop.bankspower.com/i-2556-13110-engine-gale-banks-630t-v6-3-0l-diesel.html

Somewhat of an armchair discussion starter.

As someone who has spent their share of time and money on aircraft diesel development (I have a Subaru EE20 sitting beside me at this moment), as much as I hesitate to admit it, announcements in the electric car and battery development arena over the past month have put the final nail in the coffin from my perspective with regard to diesels. The announcement of a 200kWh Tesla Roadster 2 indicate that Tesla is on the verge of something big with regard to energy density and a couple of other organizations in the past few weeks announced a tripling of energy density in lithium cells. This would enable an aircraft to meet my range requirements and be able to run on renewable energy. The release of the Tesla mode 3 will be the catalyst for a snowball effect in battery development as mass battery storage goes mainstream. A fast, practicle aircraft able to run on renewable energy is the holy grail for me. I used to think that was biodiesel, but the ability to ditch the complexity of a turbo charged liquid cooled diesel with fuel tank heating for the simplicity of an electric engine is highly appealing. I just need to finish this -7 and start work on something designed for electric incorporation. At the rate I build, by the time I finish it the battery capacity will more than sayisfy my requirements.
My .02.
Tom.

240 HP, 535 lbs bare, no gearbox. Not competitive by a bunch.

Holy smokes!

I'm in the competitive TDI world cheerleading squad as much as anybody, but this just doesn't qualify. Might as well go electric.

Back