What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv 7 Advice needed

RV7a Newbie

I'm New Here
Folks Im on the Fringe of ordering my emmpennage kit for an Rv7

I was focused on the nosewheel version as Im flying a Samba XXL at the moment and its second nature to me to taxi / Land this configuration.

Could anybody give me a quick summary of the advantages or disadvantages of both kits with reference to building, mainteance cost etc

As always, thanks for your comments

David, Ireland

It's a never ending debate. Both are great. The tail wheel is dead easy to fly. This quote may turn the table for you, or not.
" I told my girlfriend I was a nose wheel pilot......she said we should both see other men" :D

Assuming you want insurance, call an insurance agent specializing in Experimental aircraft and Vans in particular, if you can find such a thing in Ireland. With little to no tail wheel experience, the first year is going to cost you more, in both money and dual instruction time, for the tailwheel. He can tell you how much more.

Ive Been told the Nosewheels dont take hard landings well, Is there an Issue here?

IF you mean touching down hard on the main gear, well, the same hardware is used for the main gear on both the 7a and the -7.

IF you mean touching down hard on the nose gear, well, you should never do that in any airplane.

Good advice

Bob,
Cheers Sound Advice on the Insurance/ extra training end of things.

What I was Told [By Someone who possibly who doesnt know much about this] was that in the nosewheel version that after an initial landing on the main gear that the front strut was prone to damage easily after a harder than normal touch down..
Any truth in this?

Bob,

What I was Told [By Someone who possibly who doesnt know much about this] was that in the nosewheel version that after an initial landing on the main gear that the front strut was prone to damage easily after a harder than normal touch down..
Any truth in this?

The nose wheel is relatively small, and if it drops into a hole on a grass strip it can catch, bend back, and the plane will flip over. This can also happen if the nose comes down hard; the wheel can bend up to the point that the front of the gear leg makes contact with the surface. There is an after-market mod to strength the nose gear leg, if you plan on non-paved surfaces, or poor technique.
So yes, there is some truth here. RVs cannot be abused like, say, a 152.

Rail wheel

I like the look of the tail wheel. My insurance was not
Difficult to get or expensive with a tail wheel and 0 time.
Needed transition training. I was originally building a 9a and changed to a 9.
Grass strip safer in my book. But others will tell you differently.
Plus and minus to both. You have time to decide. Build the tail and wings than make the call.

IF you mean touching down hard on the main gear, well, the same hardware is used for the main gear on both the 7a and the -7.

IF you mean touching down hard on the nose gear, well, you should never do that in any airplane.

Main gear legs are completely different between the 7 and 7a. One set comes off the spar and one set comes off the engine mount

Bob,

Any truth in this?

Read Vlad's posts and see the places he's landed and taken off from... habitually... for years. I also got the impression early on that the nose gear was a bit fragile, but I think it's just a matter of doing what you were taught to do since day 1 of flight training. Land slow, on the mains, keep the stick back, don't break the airplane.

Same Empennage Kit

It's also worth mentioning that the empennage kits for the 7 and 7A are identical. You can start work and continue to mull over your decision. As previously mentioned, this is an ongoing debate. Both models have pros and cons. Ultimately, I believe it to be a highly personal decision based on MANY factors.

Enjoy!

I think you should assume that flight characteristics, insurance, speed, landing, building are all equal. Then decide what you want. When flying, the nose or tailwheel is invisible to the pilot. Taxi visibility is different, but probably a personal thing.

If you are worried about landing in strange places, look up the travels of Vlad in his RV9A.

I bought a tailwheel/tipup. After transition training, not disappointed at all.

Cheers everyone,,

Il order the emmpenage and this will give time to consider!

Appreciate the honesty, Knowing the taildragger might be considered a more desirable option in aviation circles isnt going to sway me

Il go with what feels comfortable and what I actually just like better

Definitely worth opening this small Forum, Thanks again

Coming in hot

Read Vlad's posts and see the places he's landed and taken off from... habitually... for years. I also got the impression early on that the nose gear was a bit fragile, but I think it's just a matter of doing what you were taught to do since day 1 of flight training. Land slow, on the mains, keep the stick back, don't break the airplane.

Ideally yes. I think required equipment for the nose wheel should be an AOA.
I would venture to say, anyone that ever folded the nose wheel, other than a pot hole or something catching the nose wheel while taxing, came in to hot and forced the landing when the plane still wanted to fly.

Agree fully, if you "land slow", keep the stick back and don't break, one should never have an issue. But what about the time(s) you don't nail your airspeed, you come in hot, force the landing, bounce and attempt to salvage the landing, maybe run out of runway and you should have done a go around and didn't. That was my concern, and one reason why I switched.

Last edited:
Agree fully, if you "land slow", keep the stick back and don't break, one should never have an issue. But what about the time(s) you don't nail your airspeed, you come in hot, force the landing, bounce and attempt to salvage the landing, maybe run out of runway and you should have done a go around and didn't. That was my concern, and one reason why I switched.

Wow....kinda hard to respond diplomatically to that one...... :)

Back in 2007, NTSB did a study of the nose gear design. I'm not sure the reports are easily found on line any longer, but send me a PM with your email address and I'll send the PDF reports to you.

Regardless of where you decide to put the third wheel, this is still good material to go through.

I know others feel very differently, but I avoid unpaved (and rough paved) fields as I fly a "-A".

Dan

Wow....kinda hard to respond diplomatically to that one...... :)

"Hey, Doc, it hurts really bad when I do this..."

"Yeah, you shouldn't do that."

Thank you, Dale......well played. ;)

Hey, I have maybe 140 hours TT. Believe me, I muff landings at least as often as anyone and probably more often than most. I just figure a go-around is a lot less embarrassing than bending the airplane. Some days it takes more will power than others to not try to salvage a landing that's just gone bad.

AOA definitely not required to properly land an A model. Just come in at the right speed and develop a sight picture for a nose-high attitude before touchdown. Get a lot of transition training and develop a feel for it.

I would suggest that you find a Piper Cub or Citabria to get some tail wheel instruction with an instructor who has lots of tail wheel experience. Don't make your decision based on the first few hours, but wait a while 5-10hrs until you feel comfortable in the TW before choosing. One cannot be complacent in the tail wheel aircraft. You must fly the aircraft from brake release until shutdown. I work as a B767 CPT and believe my time in my RV7 improves my stick and rudder skills that translates to better landings in the Jet.

I would suggest that you find a Piper Cub or Citabria to get some tail wheel instruction with an instructor who has lots of tail wheel experience.

Took the words out of my mouth. I've often thought that many pilots don't even know what it is they are supposed to be afraid of with a taildragger. This is a big decision, you owe it to yourself to go find out what it's all about. Besides EVERY pilot should know how to fly a cub!;)

Back