What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Food at Airventure?

gfb

Well Known Member
Whats the food situation after hours at Airventure? I'm heading out there Sunday and wondering if I should pack food for the tent?

Are nearby restaurants any good? Busy?
On-site food open late?

After hours your options are limited. SOS brothers is my preference, but there is also the option of taking the free bus to Target or the grocery store and buying what you want. We did that today. Note- the bus is mornings only 7:30 to11:30. It leaves from the bus corral or whatever it is called near the main entrance.

If you are driving there are lots of options. Restaurants are busy but we had no trouble last year. Don't remember what time they shut down the restaurant near the antique barn. it was certainly open after the airshow last year. Check out the airventure app.

I would recommend taking some food for Sunday supper just in case you don't feel like walking a lot after a long flight to get there and setting up your campsite.
That's what I do.

I'll be there, with a rental car, and I'd be happy to help out in exchange for a tour of your rv :p

But seriously, I'll be happy to help if anyone needs it.

I spoke to a really nice old guy and his wife at the pontiac oldfield car museum today in illonois, and he said that food and drink is horrendously expensive on site, so I'll be making sandwiches.

The concession food on site is not cheap, but not all that high. I've seen much worse prices (and much worse food) at our local so-called convention center. Last year my wife and I stayed in Appleton, so we'd have breakfast and dinner there and lunch at Airventure. We always found decent food at reasonable (for an event like this) prices. Not cheap, but we didn't feel robbed.

Ace's Cafe typically serves dinners later than the other onsite food vendors but not sure what time they stay open to. Reasonably priced and food is good. They have two or three complete dinner choices. Aces's Cafe is located in the forum pavillion area.

Restaurants....all over. SOS as mentioned serves food which is OK but the scenery there is much better :), just follow the balloon. Whatever you do though, stay away from Friar Tucks unless you get there after me so there's one less table I need to wait extra time for. There is also a mexican restaurant close to where Target is. Not sure where onsite you are camping but from the North 40 we just take the bus around to the Friar Tucks gate then out to the other world.

Food

sos is open late, not sure what time they stop serving food. On the road to the museum, look for the miniature balloon on a tether.
couple of food vendors just across from the ultralight area, outside EAA grounds. I think you can still take a bus inside the fence, around the end of runway 9 and get off at the Hilton gate, several choices of restaurants close by, some are open late.

We've found some great places in town, so you need a car:

Red's Pizza. They are one of the caterers onsite, but their permanent restaurant is a decent pizza place.

La Cabana is a quite good Mexican restaurant.

Our favorite is Pete's Garage. Inexpensive food and drinks ($3 1/3lb burgers!). The trick is to tell the bartender what you want, even if you're sitting at a table and not the bar. No one will come by your table and take your order. The place gets busier around 7pm, but before then, it's pretty open.

The 1st 2 places weren't very busy either. Far enough away from the field to not get mobbed. :)

West End Pizza

West End Pizza, located across the street from the Hilton. Very good pizza and we ended up going back again! Accessible through the same gate used to get to Friar Tucks, or through the Hilton gate.

How we ate at OSH 2015

Breakfast every morning at the Hilton Garden Inn.
Saturday dinner at Roxy's Supper Club.
Sunday dinner at Friar Tucks.
Monday and Tuesday dinner at the BBQ Pit.
Wednesday dinner at Durangos.
Thursday dinner at the Homebuilders event in the nature center.
Never bothered with lunch.

on Sunday evening, after we got our campsites set up and were wandering around the warbirds, we were surprised to find Buca di Beppos aka Warbird Cafe open and serving food even though their tent wasn't finished being set up yet so we had pasta for supper.

Overall, I thought the vendor pricing was reasonable.
I did think the Van's banquet was overpriced @ $35 and the meats were very dried out. :(
The presentation by Van, Gus & Vic where spot on.

Overall, I thought the vendor pricing was reasonable.
I did think the Van's banquet was overpriced @ $35 and the meats were very dried out. :(
The presentation by Van, Gus & Vic where spot on.

I agree. The homebuilder dinner was only $13, so it's unclear why the cost difference. The food didn't seem significantly different.

Back