What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iFly NEXRAD reception

Aviaman

Well Known Member
I have the iFly iPad app, which I really like. My iPad has cellular capability (as it must for having GPS capability). I noticed I am receiving NEXRAD data even while on the ground with no ADS-B IN device present, nor connected to the internet or any Bluetooth device. The only channel this data could be coming from is the cellular function. How does that work? Does it call up a NEXRAD telephone # based on GPS position? I don?t think it is stale data from a previous flight.

Cell

I used iflight on my ipad mini and the only connection on the ground or inflight was cellular. Only complaint was the 720 screen was awful in my RV-4

Note
I switched to foreflight in october. Iflight is much more user friendly. I will be switching back. Foreflight is a great product but its like using a super computer to add 2+2. Waaay more capability than i need.

Cm

I have an iPad with WingX, and see the same thing. It magically connects to a data source for adsb-in wx, either wifi or cellular, when away from the airplane.

I?ve eliminated wi-Fi and Bluetooth as a source. Only cellular is connected. And there is no external ADS-B receiver present. Does GPS itself encode NEXRAD data now? It seems strange it could get NEXRAD over cellular. If so, What number does it call?

I think you'll find your iPad actually has a number and that cellular data is turned on.

Longtouch a nexrad block. Some apps will make a notation if data was FIS or Internet based, along with a timestamp.

I?ve eliminated wi-Fi and Bluetooth as a source. Only cellular is connected. And there is no external ADS-B receiver present. Does GPS itself encode NEXRAD data now? It seems strange it could get NEXRAD over cellular. If so, What number does it call?

NEXRAD is available on the internet. iFly can use EITHER: the cellular connection on your iPad, WiFi connection on your iPad, or an ADS-B in source. By all indications, your iFly is using the cellular connection to access the internet to graphically depict the NEXRAD data.

Back