What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CO Detector

After reading this article I got the CO Expert's detector.

The only problem is that it goes off every time it gets a sniff of exhaust, like when taxying with the canopy cracked open. But it was quick to react when I had an exhaust flange fail. I opened the fresh air vent and landed at the nearest airport. I'm still happy with my choice even if I have to explain the beeping to my passengers.

I use a Flight Data Systems http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/fds_gd40carbondet.php

One thing to check out is the life, and cost to replace the detector module. FDS units have long life and reasonable cost to replace detectors.

Small, light weight, and uses a built in fan to pull sample air through the unit, so should be able to detect CO a bit quicker than non fan units-------at least that is how I see it.

Audio warning, and EFIS script as well as red light on panel.

I looked at the Gardian, but along with the purchase price of around 300-350 dollars., every five years it requires service at 200 dollars. It is a nice unit. But it does cost.

I looked at the Gardian, but along with the purchase price of around 300-350 dollars., every five years it requires service at 200 dollars. It is a nice unit. But it does cost.

I purchased the Guardian 252F and yes, normally you have to service it every 5 years, but they told me since they no longer make the 252F I have to buy a new one :mad:

Yes, they give a little core credit, but my unit it built into the panel and now I would have to rebuilt the hole to fit a smaller unit they sell.

What about this one? It is about 2.5" x 4". Cost is $199 and lasts for 5 years. It reads low levels of CO, has a digital display and a silence button in the event it is going off while the canopy is open during taxi.

coexperts_vector_1.jpg

It can be found at Aeromedix.com

http://www.aeromedix.com/ultra-low-level-carbon-monoxide-detector-co-experts-2016/

I use a Flight Data Systems http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/fds_gd40carbondet.php

One thing to check out is the life, and cost to replace the detector module. FDS units have long life and reasonable cost to replace detectors.

Small, light weight, and uses a built in fan to pull sample air through the unit, so should be able to detect CO a bit quicker than non fan units-------at least that is how I see it.

Audio warning, and EFIS script as well as red light on panel.

I got the same one, with audio alerts and EFIS annunciation. It also gives a "cabin altitude" audio alert at 10k feet to remind you about O2.

I've been very happy with it so far!

Dynon interface?

I'm still building, but I have a complete Dynon Skyview package. Is there a CO detector that will interface with a SkyView?

I'm still building, but I have a complete Dynon Skyview package. Is there a CO detector that will interface with a SkyView?

Not yet, as far as giving an CO PPM concentration on the screen. Any of the devices that give an alarm can be wired into one of the Dynon external contact inputs though, and it can trigger a warning on the screen for you that you configure the label for. It's just an on/off type of input.

Any reason not to use a household detector?

I would also like to know the answer to that question. I have my eye on a household CO detector with a form factor that would neatly replace the Quantum eye currently on my panel. And I can buy it for under $50. The manufacturer recommends it for boats and motor homes, so why not aircraft?

To quote the product spec:

Alarm levels as defined by European Norm EN50291-2010*
The table below shows the response ti􏰀mes at which your CO alarm will sound:

Parts per Million (PPM) of CO Time unti􏰀l Alarm
50 60 ? 90 minutes
100 10 ? 40 minutes
300 Must alarm in less than 3 minutes

I like that it doesn't alarm until it should and would be grateful for any insights to why this household CO detector would be inferior to the Quantum Eye and/or why it shouldnt be used in aircraft.

I have one of these on the instrument panel:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/asaCO.php

$4.50 a pop. If I were using the heater more, I might go with something more sophisticated.

No offense intended, but...really? I wouldn't trust one of these to save my life if you paid me.

Seriously...watch the video above, and then get a *real* CO detector. E.g., something like this:

http://www.pksafety.com/bw-clip-3-year-single-gas-detector-m.html

At $140, it's *cheaper* than the little plastic toy that is supposed to be changed every month, actually works, has audio and visual alarms and can even be taken out of the plane and taken with you into hotel rooms (check out the deaths and poisonings due to CO in hotel rooms).

CO poisoning is nothing to mess around with...if you're lucky, it can just make you permanently seriously brain-damaged.

I would also like to know the answer to that question. I have my eye on a household CO detector with a form factor that would neatly replace the Quantum eye currently on my panel. And I can buy it for under $50. The manufacturer recommends it for boats and motor homes, so why not aircraft?

To quote the product spec:

Alarm levels as defined by European Norm EN50291-2010*
The table below shows the response ti􏰀mes at which your CO alarm will sound:

Parts per Million (PPM) of CO Time unti􏰀l Alarm
50 60 ? 90 minutes
100 10 ? 40 minutes
300 Must alarm in less than 3 minutes

I like that it doesn't alarm until it should and would be grateful for any insights to why this household CO detector would be inferior to the Quantum Eye and/or why it shouldnt be used in aircraft.
My experience is anecdotal, but I keep a CO detector in my garage shop (it's pretty big with 4 doors and 50'x50' dimensions) and it routinely alarms quickly if I don't make sure to open the door nearest the running car and another door on other end of garage to get cross flow. I've never felt any ill effect even when it goes off, although I make sure to open all doors and get out. As drafty as my RV is I think I'd be comfortable with this kind of response.

No offense intended, but...really? I wouldn't trust one of these to save my life if you paid me.

Seriously...watch the video above, and then get a *real* CO detector. E.g., something like this:

http://www.pksafety.com/bw-clip-3-year-single-gas-detector-m.html

At $140, it's *cheaper* than the little plastic toy that is supposed to be changed every month, actually works, has audio and visual alarms and can even be taken out of the plane and taken with you into hotel rooms (check out the deaths and poisonings due to CO in hotel rooms).

CO poisoning is nothing to mess around with...if you're lucky, it can just make you permanently seriously brain-damaged.

Do what you want, but I'm comfortable with this solution.

Well, I'll put a little more between me and permanent brain damage (or worse), but to each his own.

My experience is anecdotal, but I keep a CO detector in my garage shop (it's pretty big with 4 doors and 50'x50' dimensions) and it routinely alarms quickly if I don't make sure to open the door nearest the running car and another door on other end of garage to get cross flow. I've never felt any ill effect even when it goes off, although I make sure to open all doors and get out. As drafty as my RV is I think I'd be comfortable with this kind of response.

Thanks for sharing. It seems to me that the $8 card detectors had a role to play 20 years ago when something was better than nothing in our aircraft. Now household CO detectors appear to have reached a point in their development that they have become a viable alternative to the $700 types in aircraft when there is no requirement for the detector to output to an EFIS. So far there have been no compelling reasons not to use a household type so I think I will give this unit a try.

http://www.quell.com.au/collections/carbon-monoxide-alarms/products/carbon-monoxide-digital-display-alarm

Thanks for sharing. It seems to me that the $8 card detectors had a role to play 20 years ago when something was better than nothing in our aircraft. Now household CO detectors appear to have reached a point in their development that they have become a viable alternative to the $700 types in aircraft when there is no requirement for the detector to output to an EFIS. So far there have been no compelling reasons not to use a household type so I think I will give this unit a try.

http://www.quell.com.au/collections/carbon-monoxide-alarms/products/carbon-monoxide-digital-display-alarm

Again, I recommend watching Mike Busch's video webinar on CO detectors. He specifically talks about home CO detectors, and the fact that they are required to NOT alarm at what he considers a low enough level (until some significant, i.e., hours-long, period of time at that level).

It's worth watching, then if you decide that a home detector is what you want, at least you'll have the info to make an informed decision.

Again, I recommend watching Mike Busch's video webinar on CO detectors. He specifically talks about home CO detectors, and the fact that they are required to NOT alarm at what he considers a low enough level (until some significant, i.e., hours-long, period of time at that level).

It's worth watching, then if you decide that a home detector is what you want, at least you'll have the info to make an informed decision.

For we lazy folk do you have a link?

Well after reading all this thread, I decided to get a "household" type for my plane. It is a KIDDE brand, well known, cost around $15, is VERY sensitive, very fast, and very loud with a flashing red light. I suspect it will do double duty as a "canopy open and unlatched" warning as well as its main purpose.
1zo940m.jpg
[/IMG]

Whatever means of detection you choose, make sure you're very proactive about preventing/rectifying leaks in the first place. Snug those exhaust flanges periodically, inspect for cracks in the exhaust system/mufflers, make sure the heat flapper valve closes completely, ensure every firewall pass-through is airtight with a nice blob of fireproof sealant, etc. Look for tell-tale exhaust stains anywhere and everywhere.

With most of us doing our own oil changes and such, the cowling's off every 25 hours at a minimum. Perfect time for close scrutiny of a whole host of things.

Back