What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maybe build an RV10?

WebRuss

I'm New Here
Greetings all
I would like to hear from the collective wisdom of the group...

After a few beers with some buddies the other night, I got an idea in my head to maybe buy and build an RV10. I considered some options:

1. Find an RV10 kit someone purchased but did not finish and then complete it.
  2. Buy a brand new quick build.
  3. Buy a completed one.

Each one has it's merits, but I am unsure. I am a beginner builder, but I have access to other builders with much more experience willing to drink my beer and tell me what I am doing wrong.

Regards
Russ

How much time do you want to spend on it? Do you want to build for 2000 hours? Build for 500-1000 hours? Or fly tomorrow?

How much do you want this to be your plane from the first rivet to the last, versus being subject to the build quality (could be better, could be worse) of someone willing to part with it halfway through? When someone gives up and sells a partly finished kit, is it because they had a life change and need to part with an excellent airplane? Or because 400 hours into the build they realized that this is not for them, they stink at this, and they have left you 500 mangled rivets buried in places you will never find them? And how much do you want to have control over many of the customization options as you go, versus being subject to someone else's decisions about lights, piping, panel, etc?

How much do you care about the plane being built by you, and therefore subject to the FAA rules about builder-performed maintenance, versus a purchased plane legally requiring work to be performed by a paid mechanic?

Ponder those questions. The answers you seek are within.

You can work on a purchased plane all you like. But it takes an A&P to sign off the condition inspection annually. Just to clarify.

Make certain that you get a rigorous inspection of a second-hand airplane or partly built kit. So far I've seen an RV-3, a RV-9 and an RV-10 with problems. The RV-3 was definitely fixable. The other two were scrap. These were all partly to nearly-complete kits.
Dave

Last edited:
Here's the question you need to ask yourself, do you LOVE doing projects? Do you fix your own cars, build furniture, restore cars, do your own repairs around the house, etc...? It doesn't matter what you do, but it does matter if you love doing SOMETHING with you hands.

Someone with no experience can build a plane, but someone that doesn't love doing projects will have a VERY hard time finishing it. (That's how you find partially done kits)

If you want an RV-10 to fly, then buy one. Much quicker and easier. Plus, probably won't cost much (if any) more than building one.

If you want a multi-year project that will be overwhelming at times, yet the challenge of it all gets you excited VS making you anxious, then build!

If you love the thought of building, then I'd suggest you don't buy someone else's partially completed bird. If building is what you love, why wouldn't you want to do all of it yourself?

If you love the thought of building, then I'd suggest you don't buy someone else's partially completed bird. If building is what you love, why wouldn't you want to do all of it yourself?

If that were the case, then he wouldn't buy a QB kit either. Slow build all the way.

-Marc

How much time do you want to spend on it? Do you want to build for 2000 hours? Build for 500-1000 hours? Or fly tomorrow?

How much do you want this to be your plane from the first rivet to the last, versus being subject to the build quality (could be better, could be worse) of someone willing to part with it halfway through? When someone gives up and sells a partly finished kit, is it because they had a life change and need to part with an excellent airplane? Or because 400 hours into the build they realized that this is not for them, they stink at this, and they have left you 500 mangled rivets buried in places you will never find them? And how much do you want to have control over many of the customization options as you go, versus being subject to someone else's decisions about lights, piping, panel, etc?

How much do you care about the plane being built by you, and therefore subject to the FAA rules about builder-performed maintenance, versus a purchased plane legally requiring work to be performed by a paid mechanic?

Ponder those questions. The answers you seek are within.
How about doubling or tripling that hour estimate? I assisted for 1 1/2 yrs on a RV 10 build. The build tool 3600 Hrs. No QB anything. But it is well built and the paint was amazing.

I invested about 2500 hours in my slow built 10... came out pretty nice, but i had Stein build my panel, Aerosport did my interior - so i saved Time on those items (and that 2500 hours included 2 sets of fuel tanks and a repair two both wings after they fell off my stand)

I'll make you a deal on a started RV10 empennage kit.:) The vertical and horizontal stabilizers, elevators, and rudder are done, except for fiberglass tips. the tailcone has been match drilled and dimpled, ready to assemble and rivet.

Last edited:
My data point.
My RV7 took 2000h. I had no idea what I was doing but I thought it was an above average quality build. :p
With my RV10, I know what I’m doing and would like to think I’m maintaining high standards. I stopped counting the hours years ago at around 2000h.
I’d say I’m nudging 3000h now with the engine on, canopy/doors/windows and half the wiring done. 3500h sounds about right.
IMHO there’s no such thing as a reasonable quality, 2000h amateur slow build RV10 without significant outsourcing. Especially if it’s your first time.
Cheap/Fast/Quality. Pick 2

Rv10 which build route

I tend disagree with the hours needed to build the RV10. I literally did everything myself, no outsourcing anything, first build and it absolutely took less than 2000 hours, I know because I documented every hour. But that was build time, not planning and thinking time. like painting it’s about 80% planning and about 20% doing, so I agree that it’s well over 2000 hours when the overall project is added up. My point is that just building the plane is minor to the amount of commitment needed to the completion. I did the full build, and was fully committed, I spent almost every day thinking or doing something on the rv10. Yes, I worked, yes I had very young children and a wife I needed to show was more important than the project, but I did do it and so can anyone with the commitment. If I was to do it all again, I would start from scratch, but time today won’t allow that.
Ask yourself, how committed are you to build this plane, it can be done in a year, as Vic did with the first completed RV10; highly experienced and knew what was involved, or it can take an eternity if you don’t stick to it everyday.
All great advice so far, but time it takes is up to you, it will take longer to come back to a project and complete than if you stick to it everyday and keep your mind in it.. do you have the mind to do this? If no, buy it built.
Best of success and don’t be rushed into making a decision right away, think through what it will take your time away from. Will it require a sacrifice somewhere else? than decided it’s worth it and what is your best option.
Pascal

Russ,

Are you flying something now and will you continue, or are you giving up flying for the duration of the build. That can impact the "need to fly now" vs taking the time to build.

I've gone through the same decision process and decided on the QB. I'm also a beginner builder (haven't ordered yet) with available help from those who have gone before. For me QB is a compromise between minimizing time to fly, desire to learn the build skills, control quality, and customize to my desires. Either QB or SB will require significant commitment and support from family and friends. Beer always helps!

Best wishes on your decision.

Burt

Back