What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

09-10 Step 1 Shear Clip Dimpling

md9680

Well Known Member
Friend
It says: "Dimple the #30 holes in the left inboard E-1022 Shear Clip as shown in Figure 1. Dimple only the left inboard E-1022 Shear Clip."

I notice that later on the Shear Clips will be riveted with AN470 rivets. Why dimple them here?

It's also not exactly clear to me that the two holes on the short flange are to be dimpled...or not.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thank you.

It says: "Dimple the #30 holes in the left inboard E-1022 Shear Clip as shown in Figure 1. Dimple only the left inboard E-1022 Shear Clip."

I notice that later on the Shear Clips will be riveted with AN470 rivets. Why dimple them here?

It's also not exactly clear to me that the two holes on the short flange are to be dimpled...or not.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thank you.

09-22 shows those as CS4-4 rivets (left inboard). That page says to wait to rivet them, but doesn't tell you later on when to do it. :shrug:

The short flanges look to be riveted with AN470AD4-4, so no dimpling (09-17 Step 3).

Last edited:
There is a previous thread on this issue for more info.

See WIKI in signature on appropriate page.

Thanks, gotyoke and Pete. Your responses reminded me of the "Gotchas" area for the -14 plans. I should've looked there first as this issue is pretty well addressed there and, best of all, I saw a pic showing how a builder ended up doing the step.

Back