What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How To Chain Pins In a Dsub

David Paule

Well Known Member
I've got 4 connections to ground on the same Dsub connector. The current is minimal. How do I chain the pins so that I only need one actual ground point?

Thanks!

Dave
RV-3B, still working on the cockpit, but making progress.

I have run individual pin wires out a few inches from the plug and then spliced into one single larger gauge wire to my ground farm.:)

Crimp2

I crimp 2wires per contact and daisy chain the grounds. This is just me. But if the crimp wires are short, it will be difficult to remove the contacts for rework. Do at your own risk.

four wires into one contact

You will get as many answers for this as you will about what primer to use on metal airplanes.

Before I retired and was working on spacecraft test, we typically would not use one contact for four wires. On aerospace ground support equipment, IF multiple wires needed to go to one contact in a connector, the most used solution was to use an approximate 1" (1 to 1.75") wire would be connected to the contact and the other wire(s) that needed to go to that contact would be spliced at that location. The goal was to have the splice insulated and located inside the backshell of the connector so that the backshell acted as a strain relief.

I’ve done this a few times. Even for power and ground where directed by equipment install manuals.
Splice 3 into one with a solder sleeve or solder.
Trim the pin ends as short as practicable to keep the joint inside the backshell.

Here’s a neat splice method from Garmin.

https://youtu.be/lzDG0txFoFg

Last edited:
Back