What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aera 660 and a GTX 345 -any pireps?

rjcthree

Well Known Member
I am looking to jump the shark and replace an older 496 and a near new GTX327 with an aera 660 and a GTX 345. The EFIS is, and will remain for now, a Dynon D180. The nav/com is an SL-30.

Do I need to buy the gps version of the Gtx345 for this combo? Can I use the D180 as an alt encoder as I do today?

Thanks.

I'll be doing almost this same setup in a certified plane and have the Aera 660 and a GDL39 in my RV6. I love them in the 6 for ADSB-in. The GTX-345 includes the same feature set as the GDL39R with a few extra bells and whistles.

But you DO need the GPS option on the GTX-345 if you do NOT have a WAAS GPS source that satisfies the requirements for ADSB-out. The Aera series (or any portable GPS) do NOT meet this standard.

The GTX-345 could still be a good solution for your needs since it does a lot and only requires one antenna on the bottom of the plane. However, for EAB where you can do your own work (cheaply) you have more options and might want to build the dreaded spreadsheet to see if there's a cheaper way that gets you there.

If you need that GPS source there are fewer choices: GTX-335/345 w/GPS option, a few of the NavWorx in/out combo boxes, and I think one other who's name escapes me.

Last edited:
Get a Uavionics UAT plus gps, keep your 327 (used value is only about $400), and keep a boat load of money.

I am looking to jump the shark and replace an older 496 and a near new GTX327 with an aera 660 and a GTX 345. The EFIS is, and will remain for now, a Dynon D180. The nav/com is an SL-30.

Do I need to buy the gps version of the Gtx345 for this combo? Can I use the D180 as an alt encoder as I do today?

Thanks.

I replaced a Garmin GTX 327 with the Garmin GTX 345 in my RV-8. I use my Garmin GNS 430 W as my GPS position source. I also have a Garmin Aera 660. I am very happy with this combination and have no regrets.

I used the altitude encoder in my AFS 4500 efis and it works great. The GTX 345 also allows me to use my Ipad with Foreflight via Blue-tooth. The GTX 345 is a 1090 MHz ADS-B ?Out? option which enables equipped aircraft to operate at any altitude, in airspace around the globe. If you don't have a certified GPS navigator like a GNS 430W or others you would need the optional GPS offered by Garmin for use with the GTX345.

Another less expensive Garmin ADSB out option to consider the new Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B System that will be available for about $1,795.00 in the 4th quarter of 2017. In this scenario you would keep your GTX 327 and add the GDL 82. The GDL 82 is a 978 MHz universal access (UAT) gizmo that enables equipped aircraft to operate in controlled U.S. airspace below 18,000'.

I replaced my GTX 327 with a GTX 345 with gps with altitude encoder and a 660. No issues and easily integrated into the RV. No issues. Works great. And got the ADSB rebate $$.

Were it me I would keep my "IN" and "OUT" separate and not roll everything into an all-in-one pricey ADS-B 1090 transponder. It's not worth the $4,000 difference to end up at the same place at a maximum and less functional options at a minimum.

In your particular case you are already half way to compliance with the digital GTX 327 which is a perfect match for many out solutions.

You likely never fly above 18,000 feet. Mexico and Canada have not adopted ADS-B out requirements. Much less you probably have N numbers smaller than 12".

For your "out" compliance consider:

The Freeflight RANGR Lite series with built-in WAAS source which is digitally controlled by your GTX 327. This solution has it's own built-in altitude encoder in case you want to ditch your old grey code encoder. Freeflight has both 1090 Mhz (above 18K feet) and UAT (up to 18K feet) options.

Garmin GDL-82 in-line ADS-B UAT out with built-in compliant WAAS source. This neat solution requires no additional transponder antenna and transparently integrates with your existing panel and equipment. No matter how old your existing transponder and encoder.

UAVIONIX Echo out.

All the above also provide for anonymous mode unlike the GTX 335/345/45R or any Mode S option.

For your "in" consider:

For exact functionality of the GTX 345 (45R) on your aera 660 and tablet and smartphone running Pilot or Freeflight go with a Garmin GDL 39 3D. If you don't care about backup attitude then go with the GDL 39 (non-3D). The GDL 39 series work perfect with the aera 660. I prefer the portable units to the permanent GDL 39R.

For the same all Garmin solution with more functionality than the GTX 345 consider the new GDL 52 series which is basically the follow-on to the GDL 39 series. It adds Sirius XM into the mix and feeds both XM weather and music in blended with the ADS-B traffic and weather along with an AHRS for backup attitude (like the AHRS-equipped 3D version of the GDL 39). Again I would steer away from the GDL-52R remote unit in favor of the GDL-52.

Maybe you prefer a different app than Garmin Pilot or Foreflight. Unlike the GTX 345 option you are not limited to proprietary Garmin "in" solutions. So instead of the Garmin GDL 39/52 series you could choose to go with whatever favorite dual-band ADS-B in hardware solution you prefer like stratux, iLevel, Dual, Skyradar etc. Combined with your favorite non-Garmin app like iFly, FlyQ, Hilton, Avare etc. The point being you choose your inexpensive in solution that can be changed cheaply and easily in the future as technology changes.

Since you asked, if I owned your RV equipped as it sits today, I would do this: Order a Garmin GDL-82 2020 compliant "out" unit and a toggle switch for anonymous mode. Order a Garmin GDL 52 (non-R) "in" unit. Order a aera 660 to GDL cable with power to connect the aera 660 to the GDL 52. If you glareshield mount the GDL-52 then you are done. If you want to remote mount the GDL-52 order a cheap transponder antenna for it and mount it on the belly a minimum of 36" away from the transponder antenna. If remote mounting the GDL-52 and Sirius XM was desired order a GMA SXM antenna for the glareshield or under the cowling. The GDL-52 can be easily released from it's mounting plate and moved between your other aircraft for further cost savings.

Jim

P. S. Never ask an avionics shop if you should buy a new expensive piece of equipment to replace something that already works great and can accomplish the same job with some cheaper alternatives and less installation and wiring work.

Just to defend the GTX-345 a bit: it does vastly simplify the installation of adsb-in/out in one box with just one antenna. And modern avionics are very reliable so I'm not personally concerned putting all those "eggs" in one basket.

Keep in mind for some of these multi-box installations, if you use an existing transponder and that fails, you've possibly lost both your serial altitude source and your squawk source so your adsb-out (and thus your local traffic in) will go with it. So the many-boxes = more safety may not pan out. You have to work through all the failure cases.

Back