What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 to Eclipse

scottmillhouse

Well Known Member
Flew up to Smithville TN near the center of path. Here are a few photos of eclipse and the eclipse twilight. Note all runway lights came on and fireworks.

Scott, I observed the eclipse from start to finish with my 8 inch telescope on the ground near the airport outside Hopkinsville. I found the change from crescent to corona and darkness was breathtaking. I easily identified Venus and Jupiter. A number of stars were also visible. I would happily drive 500 miles to experience that sight again! I guess we will just have to wait until April 8, 2024. Nice photos.

Airborne

The Bride and I were flying at 11,500 feet in the vicinity of Andrews NC. We could see the outer sunny fringe's from within the center of darkness. It got much darker than I expected, truly like night. I have previously experienced a 97 percent eclipse in 1984 and it never got close to dark. A very humbling and inspiring day was today. Hope to see the next one! I also set a personal altitude record ( in the RV-12) at 12,500').

Is there a note on the VFR sectional for airports that have fireworks at night along with the usual L or L*?

Sorry - couldn't help myself. Bueatiful picture and paint job, Scott!

Back