What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Braided Brake Lines

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
Has anyone purchased braided brake lines from Bonoco or another company?

I am looking at ordering some this week. Bonoco makes them for the RV-10 and I really like them. They don't make the big loop like the aluminum but still has plenty of play to replace the pads and take up any vibration.
I measured approximately 32 3/4" - 33" to come down the gear and into the brake.

Last edited:
Bonaco

Do a quick search on the name Bonaco and you will find a multitude of stellar reviews of their products. :D

bonoco brake lines

I installed bonoco brake lines on my RV12. I believe the left side needs a little longer length. I ordered one 33" long for the right side and 34" for the left side. You might recheck that to make sure I'm right.

John Sheffels

I've ordered from both Bonaco and TS Flightlines. While they both provided quality products, the service and responsiveness that Tom at TS Flightline provided was head and shoulders above Bonaco's. Both advertise on VAF.

I've used Aviall, Denver location, for fuel lines, and found their service, construction quality, and price good.

Brake Lines

I got brake lines as well as other engine hoses from Tom at TS Flightlines. Company out of Beaufort, SC. Top notch equipment and I rate Tom as one of the really good guys in the industry. Loves aviation and wants you the customer to be happy !! Go with Tom ... I promise you won't regret it.

Len
RV-8A

Bonoco

I did brake and fuel line with Bonoco. Great service and products. You will not go wrong with either choice.

Both good companies

I agree that both of the companies mentioned are excellent sources for RV parts, however, when I was doing my brake lines only Bonaco offered the chafe cover. Not sure if Tom at TS Flightlines offers that yet.

I agree that both of the companies mentioned are excellent sources for RV parts, however, when I was doing my brake lines only Bonaco offered the chafe cover. Not sure if Tom at TS Flightlines offers that yet.

That chafe cover is a big deal.

A vibrating stainless steel braided hose can easily be compared to a file...:eek:

You don't have to purchase manufacturered lines

I built the teflon braided brake lines for my RV-6 from hose and fittings purchased at a speed shop. Reasonably priced and they fit my plane perfectly.

You'll do well going with Bonoco

Scott,
I used Bonoco for all of my brake and fuel lines minus the fuel tank vent and wheel strut brake lines (I made those out of aluminum tube). Outstanding craftsmanship.

In addition, they helped me get two special brake lines right when the end fitting "clocking" wasn't quite right. I installed a park brake valve that required 2 special lines (one with a 90-degree turn and one with a 45-degree turn for the end caps). As I installed them, I saw that these end fittings were mounted 90 degrees off, and you can't just twist these lines to make 'em go on. For no charge, they took back and reconstructed the lines with the end fittings clocked correctly. Quick, fast, friendly, and darn good looking lines.

For what it's worth...

Okay, I'll bite. Why is the braided brake lines better that the solid ones that come with the plane? :confused:

Enlighten me please.

Almost 300 hours on my -12 now. No brake line issues, same brake pads, no leaks.

Okay, I'll bite. Why is the braided brake lines better that the solid ones that come with the plane? :confused:

Enlighten me please.

Almost 300 hours on my -12 now. No brake line issues, same brake pads, no leaks.

Larry,

I flew the aluminum lines on my RV-6 for ten years and never had any problems. During one inspection a found a worn spot on one line and I was also finally ready to get rid of the loop at the caliper. I built new teflon lines with a 90* fitting at the firewall and sized the length to eliminate the loop at the bottom. That loop was a minor hassle while pulling the calipers for brake work. All in all it is a nicer installation and should outlast the plane.

Just personal preference.

This is my reason for converting to stainless steel lines on the RV 12. Better flexibility, ease of maintenance, and its easier to adapt fairings to the landing gear. As an example, I didn't have to disconnect the brake lines and re-bleed the system to preform the recent landing gear SB. Nothing wrong with the aluminum lines, I just prefer braided stainless steel lines.

Sounds like a nice thing to add! So for you'll who installed them on the RV12, do I order one @ 33" and one @ 34"?

Thanks.

A Penny Saved.........

Larry do you know what happens when 2 pilots find a penny on the ground
at the same time? It becomes copper wire.;) So please change those brake pads
Man before you rubb the heads off those rivets!:eek:

Wheel pants ...

As someone noted, wheel pants are easier to install with the braided lines because you don't have to accommodate the flex loop within the wheelpant. I had aluminum lines on the mains until I got to the fairing/wheel pant installation, then changed them out.

Larry do you know what happens when 2 pilots find a penny on the ground
at the same time? It becomes copper wire.;) So please change those brake pads
Man before you rubb the heads off those rivets!:eek:

Larry I got your back - my guess is you are such a good pilot that you land slow and don't need brakes after touch-down :D - You most likely have to add power to even get to the taxiway.

Lengths?

I only measured the right side at 33". Next time I am at the airport I will grab the left side and confirm that it is 34".
I am only installing the braided hose from the top of the gear to the brake caliper. Once Bonoco or TS Flightline has the dimensions and we confirm they fit it will be much easier for others to order.

I may work on a better attachment method along the gear that looks a little nicer. I will let you know what I figure out.

Has anyone purchased braided brake lines from Bonoco or another company?

I am looking at ordering some this week. Bonoco makes them for the RV-10 and I really like them. They don't make the big loop like the aluminum but still has plenty of play to replace the pads and take up any vibration.
I measured approximately 32 3/4" - 33" to come down the gear and into the brake.

Would this substitution constitute a deviation for the purpose of going ELSA?

Jerre

has anyone

Anyone measured the exact length for the brake lines from the fuse down the gear leg to the brake caliper? I am going to order a set from TS FLIGHTLINES when we do the gear SB. Tom said he would put a -12 package together if he had the measurements and fitting style, just have not done that yet.

I was very happy with Bonaco. I ordered the wrong length at first (for a -7) and they really went out of their way to correct it for my -9.

Bonaco

I made a mistake when I first ordered the Bonaco brakelines for my -7, so I sent them an e-mail describing the problem.
They made a new set and sent it to me in Norway FOR FREE! (both the lines AND the shipping!)

I'll do business with them again at any time! Great customer care!

Lengths

I did confirm the lengths are 33" and 34".
I will take some pictures and share.
Also, TS Flightlines was a pleasure to work with.

I did confirm the lengths are 33" and 34".
I will take some pictures and share.
Also, TS Flightlines was a pleasure to work with.

PIREP:
I ordered my brake lines per Scott's measurements, from Tom @ TS Flightlines. Tom was a pleasure to work with! He was heading out of town, but stopped his departure for long enough to make my two brake lines and take them to the post office. I had them two days later! Very nice quality, very good price, and superior service.

Scott and others who have gone this route: what method did you end up using, to secure the lines to the gear? Come up with anything unique, or just ZIP ties?

Thanks,

PIREP:
I ordered my brake lines per Scott's measurements, from Tom @ TS Flightlines. Tom was a pleasure to work with! He was heading out of town, but stopped his departure for long enough to make my two brake lines and take them to the post office. I had them two days later! Very nice quality, very good price, and superior service.

Scott and others who have gone this route: what method did you end up using, to secure the lines to the gear? Come up with anything unique, or just ZIP ties?

Thanks,

I used the same technique so far but added one more (4 total).
This winter I will work on a better technique.

Back