What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage on it's side?

rschy

I'm just getting ready to start installing the flight controls and I noticed in Tony Tessitore's photos that he had turned the fuselage on it's side. Looks like a good way to perform this operation. Has any one had any problems doing it this way?

Rotisserie 101??

The first project we welded together a stand that enabled us to rotate the 9A fuse 360 degrees.

The second project, which is still underway, we simply used two auto engine stands that enable us to rotate the 6A fuse 360 degrees.

Of course, we never sat in the airplane without additional support. I don't know if the fuse would tweak but I'd just as soon not find out the hard way.

You're right. Lots of jobs are easier with a rotating fuse. This time, we'll paint the fuse while it's still on the rotisserie. Upside down painting is not fun.

I hope I answered your question. If you want pics, email me.

Fuselage on it's side

Putting the fuselage on it's is the way to go while working inside the fuselage.
A few precautions though:
Be sure not to damage the temperature probe. I always rotate the fuse to the right side. I secure it with a rope through the Roll Bar and tied to the ceiling. The probe has blocks of wood taped around it for protection. People that come to take a look alway want to put their hands on things that stick out.
Make sure you have no clecos attached outside the skin which can be bent over, thus damaging the skin.
The steps and canopy should be left off until final countdown.

Art Pennanen

Back