What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

South African RV-12 Build Group : Build Sunday ZERO

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
RVators,

If you remember 10 South Africans are going to put a RV12 together and then learn to fly on it (Yes we can do it in South Africa). 9 members do not hold pilot licenses and will use our creation to do their initial training on. It is a dream come true in an affordable way for them to build and earn their wings...

Our RV12 Enthusiast build group had our first Build Sunday. We called this Build Sunday ZERO since we did not do anything on the airplane, (We are still waiting its delivery) but we did complete some preparation work. This Sunday we had an Aircraft Build Theory presentation in the morning. We had 4 guests (non build group members) that attended and interested in aircraft building. In the afternoon we completed 5 Work Tables, 1 for each pair of members, because multiple sections will get build at the same time, we need a lot of tables.

It was a great experience and everyone worked hard, we completed all 5 tables in only 3 hours! With all the boring stuff out the way, we can’t wait for our kit to arrive somewhere in middle May…Sign of good things to come.

The pile of wood precut to size
tables_01.jpg

Starting with the sides in front of the hangar on a nice sunny day, working on the underside of the table top for a nice flat surface.
tables_02.jpg

Some of the onlookers coming to investigate what we were doing, looking at the pile of wood were skeptic.
tables_03.jpg

Get comfortable, bare feet and all
tables_04.jpg

Sides are done now for some cross bracing
tables_05.jpg

The structure coming along nicely, on your knees to get it done.
tables_06.jpg

Ready to fit the table top
tables_07.jpg

Fitting the castor wheels.
tables_08.jpg

tables_09.jpg

Getting comfortable!
tables_10.jpg

...<SNIP>

Last edited:
<CONTINUE>...

All 5 tables done!
tables_11.jpg

The first group photo, me on the far right.
tables_12.jpg

Now we just have to wait until the first kit arrives, somewhere in May, till then...
Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Awesome!

I see footwear safety is not a concern there. :rolleyes:

I look forward to watching the progress. Has the entire kit + engine been ordered?

What a wonderful endeavor (English 'endeavour')

Great idea, Rudi...now's the time to teach about scotchbriting, deburring....the theory of lift....drag...

Best,

Group Build

Great idea ! I hope you will post photos showing progress...you should finish really fast with such a large group...I guess five times as fast as most of us, eh?

Good luck !

Very cool idea.

At SnF Van talked about the -12 being a great teaching tool becuase it goes togeather so fast. They are working on a power point presentation that people can use to build the -12 as a group / class project.

Last edited:
Awesome!

I see footwear safety is not a concern there. :rolleyes:

I look forward to watching the progress. Has the entire kit + engine been ordered?

He, He, would you believe the bare foot guy is actually an Engineer! :D
Everything is ordered the whole kit, but it will take months before Vans Ship and it gets to us 1/2 across the globe to South Africa.

Rudi

Great idea ! I hope you will post photos showing progress...you should finish really fast with such a large group...I guess five times as fast as most of us, eh?

Good luck !

Yes, I will post pictures. We have dedicated Build Sundays every two weeks. But We can only start once our stuff arrives in SA. We hope to start middle to End May and hope to fly before the end of the year.

Great idea, Rudi...now's the time to teach about scotchbriting, deburring....the theory of lift....drag...

Best,

Thanks Pierre, well the theory and Section 1-5 of the manual is behind us, I showed them some tools, rivets, hardware and what is good/bad practises on samples. So the are experts in Theory.
The actual deburing and scothcbriting they will learn very quickly once the kit is here ;)
The theory about Lift and Drag I am leaving for their Pilot Instruction Tuition. :)

Rudi

There is going to be a lot of sharp metal bits on the floor, so be careful out there. Looks like quite a crew. You should have enough tables as it appears. I only used three, two of them being folding tables.

Art Pennanen

There is going to be a lot of sharp metal bits on the floor, so be careful out there. Looks like quite a crew. You should have enough tables as it appears. I only used three, two of them being folding tables.

Art Pennanen

I think he knows, but wanted to make the most of the sunny day outside, feel the grass between his toes. Building the airplane will be different story...we will need 5 tables cause multiple sections will be build at the same time.

Back