What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build documentation

skydiverlv

Well Known Member
Would like to know what is the basic requirement of documentation for building the 12 to satisfy FAA or any one that needs to know. Most of my fabrication time will come in 1-4 hour segments and there will be days-possibly weeks of no shop time. I am very appreciative of time spent by previous and current builders detailing their builds via logs for all to view, I can see that it would take time away from building which I am very short on.

If you are building ELSA you do not need to document your actual build. Having said that I find it useful for my own benefit to write on the plans as I finish each step, and I have a notebook that I note the days progress and time. It only takes a couple of minutes a day.

Mark has it!
However, if you are building as "amateur-built" you will need to show the build process and show that you built a major portion of the airplane.

Amateur-Built Requirements

Mark has it!
However, if you are building as "amateur-built" you will need to show the build process and show that you built a major portion of the airplane.

Hi Mel - Good info as usual. How would you view a previously built -12 up through the fuselage kit? I'll be starting with the finish kit. Looking to define what is a "major portion" you referred to. Thanx much.

Build Documentation

Though you don't need to document you building experience for an ELSA, but if you decide to go EAB half way through, you will need to have maintained a log with pictures. It's nice to have the option.

Art Pennanen

Hi Mel - Good info as usual. How would you view a previously built -12 up through the fuselage kit? I'll be starting with the finish kit. Looking to define what is a "major portion" you referred to. Thanx much.

Actually the "major portion" build for an RV-12 in it's entirety comes out pretty close, so if you start out with any work done, you would be hard pressed to show 51%.

Actually the "major portion" build for an RV-12 in it's entirety comes out pretty close, so if you start out with any work done, you would be hard pressed to show 51%.

Wouldn't it be ok if the previous work was by a non-commercial builder?

I was just going through some old stuff and this caught my eye.

If you are building ELSA you do not need to document your actual build. Having said that I find it useful for my own benefit to write on the plans as I finish each step, and I have a notebook that I note the days progress and time. It only takes a couple of minutes a day.

Even though you don't need to show a "major portion" of the E-LSA build, you will still need to show that you did indeed follow the plans to the letter.

Mel, where can I find the regulatory reference for this requirement?

21.191(g)

"Operating amateur-built aircraft the major portion of which has been fabricated and assembled by persons who undertook the construction project solely for their own education or recreation."

The procedure for how to show compliance is detailed in AC20-27G.

Last edited:
Back