What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Page 37-05, Rev. 3, Fig. 1

ARPENN

Well Known Member
I think this was previously discussed, but I can't find the thread to see if it was resolved.

The hardware called out to attach the Sight Glass Backing Plate in Fig. 1 shows the use of 4 washers per screw; note the "4X" before the washer identification. Thats a lot of washers, but I went ahead and followed the plans.

Recently while working on the Canopy, I ran short of washers. Guess what, they were the same washers, NAS1149FN632P. Eighteen of these are also used for the center section of the Instrument Panel.

E-mailed Van's Support about this. We went back and forth until I pointed out the "4X" on the drawing. I was told this was a typo and will be corrected on the drawing in the future. Only one washer is required. Additional washers will be sent.

I think this was previously discussed, but I can't find the thread to see if it was resolved.

The hardware called out to attach the Sight Glass Backing Plate in Fig. 1 shows the use of 4 washers per screw; note the "4X" before the washer identification. Thats a lot of washers, but I went ahead and followed the plans.

Recently while working on the Canopy, I ran short of washers. Guess what, they were the same washers, NAS1149FN632P. Eighteen of these are also used for the center section of the Instrument Panel.

E-mailed Van's Support about this. We went back and forth until I pointed out the "4X" on the drawing. I was told this was a typo and will be corrected on the drawing in the future. Only one washer is required. Additional washers will be sent.

On the revised drawing, step 5 says to apply a thin layer of goop to the flanges of the backing plate and place on the fuel window. There is no mention of washers(which would negate using goop).

As I suppected, the 4x is a leftover from the original drawing.

Thanks to all for you imput. I will continue on--elbow deep in goop!

Gary

Back