What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Light

redhawk

Well Known Member
Looking for suggestions on installing a landing light on my already built RV4.
Does anyone have any tips on this and the best type of light to use?
Thanks

I went with the duckworks leading edge kit and the low cost 35 amp HID lights. I am happy with the product and was surprised how easy the install was. I have to admit, it was a bit intimidating cutting in to the leading edge of a finished wing but all was well. The light output from the 35 amp HIDs seems to be more than plenty but I do have one on each side. I get no comm noise when the lights are on. Hope this helps.

I went with the duckworks leading edge kit and the low cost 35 amp HID lights. I am happy with the product and was surprised how easy the install was. I have to admit, it was a bit intimidating cutting in to the leading edge of a finished wing but all was well. The light output from the 35 amp HIDs seems to be more than plenty but I do have one on each side. I get no comm noise when the lights are on. Hope this helps.
Surely you mean 35 watt lights. 35 amps at 13 volts would put them drawing 455wats of power each.

Last edited:
Me too !

I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread but I'm thinking of the same thing . I have the old style wing tips and was considering installing the Airtech wingtip lense kit that Van's sells .

I'm wondering if anyone has installed landing lights in that particular unit and what parts I need . I'm wondering if I can modify the wingtip landing light kits for the 7/8 or the 10 ?

Thanks ,
Marc

If you actually plan on using the lights as landing lights for use at night, your best solution is probably to get the Duckworks Leading edge kits whether you get the 100W Halogen or one of the HID kits.

If you want something to use for those 'in case' moments when you get back a little later than you intended, the Van's wingtips with the MR-16 lights are usually adequate. If you get the HID upgrade from somebody like Duckworks, they are much better, but still not as good as a real landing lights. The 75W Halogen wingtip lights that are stock are pretty limited I think most people have found.

The best performance for your dollar would be to install the 50W HID leading edge Duckworks kits. They are supposed to be something like 5 times brighter than the standard GE4509 that most Cessna's have.

The Ultimate solution would be to install the Duckworks Kits and get the PAR36 HID lights from XeVision. When they say their only competition is the Sun, they are not kidding!

How about one not in the wing at all?

n87ct.jpg

The light is small enough that it does not affect cooling at all.

As long as it's bright enough for someone to see it from outside the aircraft is all that matters. I've never had a landing light do anything for my visibility from inside the aircraft. In fact, if it's close enough for a landing light to "light-it-up", that means I'm going to hit it and I probably don't even want to see it.

As long as it's bright enough for someone to see it from outside the aircraft is all that matters. I've never had a landing light do anything for my visibility from inside the aircraft. In fact, if it's close enough for a landing light to "light-it-up", that means I'm going to hit it and I probably don't even want to see it.

Sid, I'll take you up one evening. You'd be amazed at the output from my light system - I have a unique over and under combination of a 50 W HID spotlight and a 35W HID wide beam taxi light.

I can spotlight cars from pattern altitude with the narrow beam (and have...But if you saw any UFO reports from Cartersville last spring, um, that wasn't me...)

And the taxi light really helps with peripheral vision for night landings. The system is a huge improvement on the 100W halogen light I think is in your airplane.

Kyle,
I think I remember seeing you post about your light another time. I remember you were impressed with it, but I did not realize you could see cars so well. That is impressive!!

One landing light vendor I haven't seen mentioned yet is RMD Aircraft.

http://www.rmdaircraft.com/other.htm
Scroll down a bit and you'll see 'em. The original light system fits the old style 4, 6 and 8 wingtips, but I see they're making a whole new wingtip and light assembly complete with upswept tips. Those have gotta be a bunch of $$...

If you don't mind a bit of cutting and fitting fiberglass work, these work really well. Kinda pricey (don't remember the exact cost), but they are well made and with round 50w bulbs, they throw plenty of light. I have them on my -8 and am really happy with them.

Just another 2 cents...

Back