What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Screen over fuel vent

Screen

I have a bunch of leftover window screen material, so used some of that for the fuel vents and was figuring I'd also use it for other vents and openings. It's some sort of fiberglass. Anybody know what the longevity of that stuff is like? Just wondering if I should find something else a little more substantial, or if this will hold up ok.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RYSNHC1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1

I'm sure it will survive quite a long time. I used a piece of stainless screen. I cut it just a hair bigger than the ID of the NACA tube. Push it in. It really grabs and stays put. The intake on the #1 baffle has a piece as well but it was just a square prosealed between the baffle and the vent flange.

I have a bunch of leftover window screen material, so used some of that for the fuel vents and was figuring I'd also use it for other vents and openings. It's some sort of fiberglass. Anybody know what the longevity of that stuff is like? Just wondering if I should find something else a little more substantial, or if this will hold up ok.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RYSNHC1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1

This is exactly what I've done, secured with a zip tie. I had initially built with screens from a faucet aerator - which was a pain to secure. I had a few low fuel pressure events when flying with a full tank which I attributed to poor vent air flow, likely from excess proseal plugging the screen. I changed one side to the window screen and it worked so well I changed the other. I have 5 years with this and not a single issue. It has had fuel exposure a few times when I parked in the heated hangar with full tanks of cold fuel and leaked out the vents when the fuel expanded. In my experience, this solution couldn't be better.

Everyone is discussing fuel vents. Did you put a screen on the NACA vents and the intake side of the heater scat?

I folded a piece of screen material over the round part of the plastic vent scoops, prior to clamping on the scat tube. It's nearly invisible from outside the airplane and will hopefully keep bugs out:

20210620_screen.jpg

For the heat inlet in the baffle I used a square of stainless screen:

20130525_screen.jpg

Everyone is discussing fuel vents. Did you put a screen on the NACA vents and the intake side of the heater scat?
Them buggers can invade the inside of the airplane too!
I was swarmed by yellow jackets as a child. Must have been bad because I remember my parents throwing me into a tub of baking soda water. I dint remember much after that.
No way I want that while flying. Just sayin'

I have a screen on the intake side of the heater scat, but not on the NACA vents - YET. didn’t think of that……. I had a yellow jacket along for the ride once. I think he buzzed in while I was taxiing, but didn’t see him until I was airborne. It wasn’t much fun having a passenger that can sting. I circled back and landed and when I got slow I slid the canopy open and he left the scene. I guess he (or she) didn’t like the ride either.

This dude came buzzing out of the back and landed on my pilot's side canopy rail mid-flight at 9500'. Fortunately, he stayed right there while I slowly picked up a towel and ended his flight time. A bit disconcerting.

wasp.jpg

Tank vent

I have a collapsed RV8 tank out back that occurred from a mud dobber plugged vent.
Actually the same aircraft had both vents get plugged, but we were able to repair the other tank.
Pilot almost lost the battle to keep it running till he found an airport....

If you live in TX I would definitely suggest some type of critter prevention.

I second that! living in Florida we have the same problem. Anywhere that there is a hole, chances are there will be a mud Dauber nest. I recently found one in my carb, not happy with that. So, yes an ounce of prevention is worth the pound of cure. (and your life).

Back