What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hard starting RV-10

Kupde

Patron
I have about 100 hours on my RV-10 and almost all starts are immediate with the exception of the expected hot starts. Only twice on cold starts did I have a problem with the starts. Both times it?s been overnight outside in Pensacola in the summertime. Normally my plane is hangered in Tampa. The question is does anyone know why this would occur?

Thanks

Kevin

I have about 100 hours on my RV-10 and almost all starts are immediate with the exception of the expected hot starts. Only twice on cold starts did I have a problem with the starts. Both times it’s been overnight outside in Pensacola in the summertime. Normally my plane is hangered in Tampa. The question is does anyone know why this would occur?

Thanks

Kevin

I would guess, assuming you use the same priming technique for each cold start, that the plane baking in the sun all afternoon evaporated more fuel out of the post servo, fuel lines than normal, requiring a bit longer priming time to fill them back up the next day.

Larry

Last edited:
I assume you have the Lycoming IO540...I also had a hot start problem initially. I finally realized that the normal procedure for cold engine caused flooding with raw fuel running down into the filter box when the engine is hot. I now start hot with NO prime or boost EVER and start with mixture full lean, gradually advancing as I crank. It will virtually always start but sometimes needs a short shot of boost pump once it is firing.

Thanks for the help. Just to be clear it?s a cold start issue only on 2 occasions after sitting out for the night in Pensacola

No issues with hot starts

Thanks Kevin

What is your normal procedure for cold starts?

The procedure I use for cold and hot weather, hangared or tied out, tropics or temperate climes, is:
Throttle and mixture closed
Boost pump on
mixture and throttle full forward until my fuel flow meter shows 5gph (?)
Throttle and mixture closed, then throttle forward 1/4?
Engage starter and move mixture forward to lean idle position after first cylinder fires.
Boost Pump Off

I have about 100 hours on my RV-10 and almost all starts are immediate with the exception of the expected hot starts. Only twice on cold starts did I have a problem with the starts. Both times it?s been overnight outside in Pensacola in the summertime. Normally my plane is hangered in Tampa. The question is does anyone know why this would occur?

Thanks

Kevin

Be sure you either have an impulse coupler of Shower of Sparks. When new, the engine starts without them, as the mag ages, it gets harder to start and finally, no hot starts!

Thanks

Kevin

What is the problem exactly? it takes longer to start? it doesnt start? it starts than dies?
Your in a humid area, did you check for water in the fuel?

Back