What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ANR headset behind the neck?

13brv3

Well Known Member
Greetings,

I've been trying to find the perfect solution for my noisy plane and desire to wear a hat. I've had several versions of ANR headsets, and they worked pretty well, but I couldn't wear a hat with them. Later, I switched to the Halo in-ear headset, which is great for the hat, but not as quiet as I need it to be.

What I'd like to find is a good ANR, type headset that fits behind the neck, similar to the way this headset fits:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NU60N8/

I actually tried wearing those over the Halos, but oddly it made things worse, not better. Has anyone seen an ANR heaset that fits behind the neck?

BTW, a bit hat is much preferred to any sort of sun shade, which of course I've considered.

Thanks,
Rusty

Find a pair of earphones that you like that are behind the neck and purchase an NflightMic and use it with them.

The NFlightMic will plug into anything you want. They have a. Option for both the 2.5mm and 3.5mm jacks.

Interesting. I've never heard of the NflightMic, so I guess that may be an option if I happen to find ANR headsets without a mic.

Thanks,
Rusty

In-ear ANR (noise cancelling) headphones are getting to be more common in the consumer arena. Try googling that. Only caution I'd have is whether consumer devices can handle the really high sound levels in a/c. If you find some that pitch their use with lawn mowers, power tools, etc, then they will likely work in an a/c.

Charlie

I haven?t used them yet, but I recently learned of Quiet Technologies in-ear headsets. They were developed by an audiologist who is also a pilot. He was at Oshkosh with a display. They?re not specifically ANR, but are supposed to be just as effective. I follow an air traffic controller on YouTube who uses these in a Cessna 310 and loves them.

with the Halo's, are you sure you have the plugs inserted properly/all the way? Are the plugs relatively new (I replace mine every 8-10 flying days)? I've never heard anyone be unhappy with their noise reduction. To me they're quieter than the bose x that I keep in the passenger side for my kid.

The Problem With Most Baseball Caps

That darn button on top.
Just cut if off. It really serves no purpose.
No more dent in the middle of your head after removing your headset.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

That darn button on top.
Just cut if off. It really serves no purpose.
No more dent in the middle of your head after removing your headset.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

Removing the button is the secret. Use a pair of dikes to pull/pry it off.

I use a visor type hat. Nothing on top, so the headset cushion rests on your head as designed, and it?s a little cooler in the summer. Any hat, or visor however, will interfere with the seal between the headset cushion and your head, so you?ll loose a little bit of NR.

BTW, a bit hat is much preferred to any sort of sun shade, which of course I've considered.
By "bit," do you actually mean "big?" As in, something with a brim all the way around? If so, I don't have any suggestions. If not, you might either remove the button from a ball cap, as others have suggested, or Sporty's sells a hat with no button and an extra inch added to the length of the brim. Custom embroidery available, too.

Back