What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Openings in conduit

Mark Jackson

Patron
First, I have already installed black Van's corrugated conduit in the wing. I have added the Duckworth landing lights out near the wing tips.

Is is possible to cut a hole in the conduit to run the landing light wire? I would imagine some sort of grommet is needed to prevent the conduit from chafing the wires, but I can't see how one would fit well or securely.

My other thought would be to just chop out a section of the conduit and install two grommets on the exposed ends and put the wire in there.

Last edited:
Haven't done this yet but will soon. I've read others recommend the use of a soldering iron to melt a hole in the conduit. Seems like a good way to open a smooth edged hole.

I just heated a Phillips screwdriver with a lighter and it poked right through. Then cleaned up the rough edges with a razor blade.

Lynn

I just ran the wires out the end of the conduit and looped them around for the lights. I think if you put a hole in the conduit it will make it harder to add wires later. Others have added holes but I kept mine without any mid-point exits.

Solder iron

Haven't done this yet but will soon. I've read others recommend the use of a soldering iron to melt a hole in the conduit. Seems like a good way to open a smooth edged hole.

That's how I drilled the holes.

I wrapped a layer of duct tape around the conduit then cut a hole with an xacto knife. Put a rubber grommet in it with a dab of glue and it seems to hold just fine. Also doesn't prevent running wires in the future.

I just ran the wires out the end of the conduit and looped them around for the lights. I think if you put a hole in the conduit it will make it harder to add wires later. Others have added holes but I kept mine without any mid-point exits.

This is how I did it as well. Didn't see the need to put a hole in since you only need to double the wire back a few inches to connect to the landing light. I did put a hole in the conduit for my wing mounted OAT. For that I just used an xacto blade but the hot screwdriver method sounds like a cleaner way to do it.

Ditto with the soldering iron. and the conduit is relatively soft plastic, so I'm not worried about it chafing the wires, so no grommet here.

Back