What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Bits Main Gear installation fairings

Mark C.

Well Known Member
Looking for pictures and ideas how they installed "RV Bits" gear fairings. Final stages of my 9A build. Thanks,

Mark C.
IO 360 Mattituck
Catto-Tri
All Dynon Instru.

On the gear leg, top and bottom. I want to use screws and nutplates to hold everything together. I have seen builders have cracks at the mold spot to the wheel covers after many landings.. Mark C.

Access doors are from Aircraft Spruce

CAMLOC ACCESS DOORS FOR WHEEL (KM713-16-064)

Mike, very nice pictures and write up.. After a couple of years flying still no cracks?? By the way when you centered the "fairings" to the belly of the aircraft and wheel pant, did you have the wings on? Mark C.

I fiberglassed the lower intersection fairings to the front half of the wheelpant. It makes removal fast and easy. No cracks after 2.5 years. the upper intersection fairings look much like Mike's ....I used platenuts in all but one location (on each side) where I used a keyed rivnut.
I'll have to look for pics ....

Mike, very nice pictures and write up.. After a couple of years flying still no cracks?? By the way when you centered the "fairings" to the belly of the aircraft and wheel pant, did you have the wings on? Mark C.

No cracks so far. I did have my wings on and flew without the fairings for a while. It was a pain to install the wheel pants and gear leg fairings with the wings on. It'd be much easier to install them without the wings in the way.

Back